1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overhaul advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Error 404, May 4, 2011.

1. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So... I finally have some money, AND my computer decides to start acting up. Solution? UPGRADE!

Thinking of getting these parts for my gaming/LAN rig:
    CPU: i5 2500K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3RB3 P67
    RAM: 4 or 8 GB of 1600 MHz (Probably some G.Skill or Corsair brand)
    Graphics card: 1 or 2 GB Gigabyte 6950 Not going to crossfire
    And a new 2TB hard drive.

Of course, I have a few questions since I've been out of the tech loop for a bit...
    Is my choice of motherboard good?
    Considering I would like to run BF3 and other games for the next few years on high/medium graphics settings, will a 1GB 6950 (unlocked) and 4GB of RAM be enough, or should I get the larger RAM options? I also plan on using FRAPs for a few games, and more than likely do video editing.
    The store I'm looking at has HIS, Powercolor, Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus versions of the 6950, which one would be preferable?
    Thanks for any help with these questions!
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    8Gb Ram would be cheap enough (2x4Gb) so I don't see why you wouldn't, also get 1x6950 now and another 6950 as BF3 comes out if you feel worried about its capability, but playing with it for a few months before then should give you an idea
    Error 404 says thanks.
  3. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll go with 8GB of RAM, but I don't plan on putting a second graphics card in my computer if I can help it. Computers have a tendency to screw up on me, and I don't want to take my chances with crossfire.
  4. Dacur

Dacur

Thanks Received:
    nice upgrade:)

Go for 8 Gb of ram, BF3 is hungry and then u dont have to worry about that for a long time. And for videoediting more ram = faster

GFX: get 1 6950 for starters, u can always add another or even get a 6970 to boost ur CF, just remember same series of card aka 6xxx series in ur case.

On what HD does ur games run? A WD 500 Gb black is nice
  5. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My primary HD is the 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. I stopped using the WD since it began acting up under heavy use, now its just additional storage which I'll be replacing with a 2TB HD.

As for graphics, I'm not considering crossfire. I'll try and unlock the extra shaders on my 6950 and definitely overclock it, but I really just want something that'll last another 3 years for less than AU$300.
    I guess what I'm really asking is will the 2GB card have a significant advantage over the 1GB card for running games at maximum?
  6. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the res you're gonna game at. 1gb is pretty much for most games but there are some than can benefit from the extra mem, especially if you are the kind to play with very high details. But heck, since you are gonna be upgrade, better do it well eh? ;)

For the HDD's, a good alternative would be Samsung F3's. Cheaper than the competition, at least where I live. Comes with decent performance too.
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    gigabyte some kinda little pricey but its kinda nice, 8 gig is enough for all needs just run 64 bit to maximize it
    for vga especially highend card since most card just the same, so check the package like cooling solution, bundles like game, apps, warranty period, etc
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If you do 8gb go 4x2 in case you ever end up with 2011 (quad channel). If you do 2x4 and just figure you'll buy more sticks later they may be discontinued by then.
  9. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll keep a lookout for the F3s, since I probably wont need a super fast 2TB HD.
    As for resolution, just 1920x1080. I might eventually get another two screens, but that's another story entirely...
    I'll definitely be grabbing 2x 4GB modules, mainly since overclocking with 2 modules will be more stable than with 4 modules.