1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overkill > Creative announces quad core sound cards

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by micropage7, Sep 2, 2011.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Once upon a
    time there were
    as many sound
    card makers as
    there were
    graphics card makers, but today only one is
    still alive, good old Creative
    (what happened to the Labs bit
    on the end?) and today the
    company has announced its first
    quad core sound cards based on its recently announced Sound
    Core3D audio processor
    vr-zone.com/articles/creative-announces-quad-core-sound-cards/13470.html
    it looks more component goes multi cores today
    do you think it would meet your sound expectation?
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Interesting.....

I especially liked this part...

when was the last title that used EAX released??
  3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Yea GL with that shit Creative since DX audio was dropped.
    DD:L is the same whether its coming from a $200 card or onboard

How many games suported X-Fi ?, how many of those games actually worked properly with X-Fi ?
    I guess this will be there Physx.

No thanks not falling for that shit again. $150 card and all its good for is upmixing stereo to fake 5.1 and my reviver can already do that.
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't take a shit-ton worth of sound processing for the average, even high-end gamer to enjoy their titles. I'm sure just about ANY external sound card, given if the drivers are mature, will give good enough sound over onboard anyday. It's just a gimmick in order to boost their sales/image by trying to imitate the way other hardware seems to be progressing...i.e. Graphics cards and CPUs. But sound is totally different. Good job Creative, you have sunk to a new low :roll:
    edit: They totally skipped dual-core :laugh:
  5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    What exactly is the point of that processing power? Doesn't seem like it adds new features and the analog aspect looks like a backtrack from the titanium hd. It looks to just be an update of the regular titanium with a new proc which honestly may be a con if it needs notably different drivers, this being creative after all.
  6. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    They were good 20 years ago.

R.I.P. Creative whatever
  7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Last SB Cards I found that were good were the PCI 512 n LIve Series in that gen cuz of true hardware MIDI, it Made MIDI Music Sound Better

8. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    If creative wants the respect of people who know anything about sound, they should flesh out OpenAL, and give out SDK's to other manufacturers and work toward a competent unified sound api so all hardware sound cards can use the same technology (and developers might begin to consider including it in their software over the alternatives), then creative needs to focus on hardware quality (good DACs, audiophile quality sound), and only after they have both of those accomplished should they ever worry about bringing anything like EAX back, or having more cores to process more voices in hardware... what's the point of that horsepower if nothing makes any use of it, and the only thing that actually offloads to the cards is creative's own DSP effects?
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    EAX is something that CL can make money off of cuz its proprietary just like SLI/CUDA is. Open AL they cant cuz its not theirs
  10. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly the point. They need to grow the market for aftermarket cards. Since DX no longer has Hardware audio support, they need an alternative. OpenAL is perfect. By having a standard which is free and open, all sound card makers can use it, so more game developers will use it, and creative can bring in EAX on top of OpenAL (Which is what ALchemy does, by converting DX calls to OpenAL)

That gives people a reason to buy Creative again.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    tell u truth XFi Was my last CL card, Im goin with Ht Omega since Auzentech folded n started using CL tech.

Ill put my PCI 512 to playback old MIDI files I have and Record them into highest quality format possible so i dont risk any compression, n then MP3s
  12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I'll skip these probably.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Since someone's probably going to swing by and lock this now that it's on the front page I figure this is as good a time as any to ask.. can't we just have some sort of thread merger in these scenarios? Don't really feel like making the same comments twice in a row...