1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overvoltage protection errors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sir B. Fannybottom, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    So, while my computer was under heavy load (like playing battlefield 3) my computer would go to a back screen, and tell me that it shut off due to PSU current protection and said it was likely due to an broken or failing PSU. I decided to RMA my powersupply, and when I got the replacement in I was still getting these errors. I searched it up, and asked Dave about this error, and apparently it just kinda happens and that I should turn off the protection in the BIOS settings. My pc ran fine for a few weeks, but now it will just randomly make the screens go black, but I can still hear audio through WMP. I'm thinking it might be the video card, I've since made the fan curve a bit more aggressive, and it kinda helps but I would like to hear your guy's opinion.

Short version: My computer used to tell me that PSU is dying, I RMAed it, still gives me that error. Turned off that setting, now screen just goes black, but i can still hear audio. Me thinks its video card, what you think and how fix?

System:
    Processor: Core i5 3570K (Currently on stock)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
    Cooling: Coolit ECO A.C.L
    Memory: M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB sticks
    Video Card: Sapphire HD 6870 (currently on 13.6 but was on 12.8)
    Hard Disk: Toshiba MK5065GSX+WD10EZEX
    CRT/LCD Model: Acer S200HL+Acer P206HV
    Case: HAF X 912
    PSU: Seasonic 750X
    Software: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
  2. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    So it just happened again. This time I was paying attention to my GPU temps and they were pretty low! Could this be caused by improper cooling of the card's VRM?