• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Owners & Techs, Please Weigh In -- Intel P45: CRAPset or CHIPset?

GeoNOregon

Intel P45: CRAPset or CHIPset?

I'm going into the third month of trying to get a P45 chipset MB motherboard stable enough to install an OS. I'm trying to decide whether to RMA the board for the 2nd time or get a refund and go with a different chipset MB.

Throughout this entire period, (except when testing other BIOS configurations), I have kept the BIOS settings to the fewest options possible, (a specific setting I did choose was Spread Spectrum, disabled, in the memory settings). During testing, I tried auto settings for the memory, I tried different manual timing and speed settings. I tried fail-safe AND and optimized defaults.

The first board, with nothing other than memory and a video card installed (booting from a USB mem stick to DOS), wasn't stable enough to flash the BIOS, (I was getting erratic recognition of the memory by the BIOS). The Q9550 needed the newest BIOS, so the board went back.

The second board was stable enough to flash the BIOS, but ONLY with either stick of the OCZ memory installed, NOT with both sticks installed.

MB tech said flashing would solve the mem problems. It didn't.

OCZ tech told me to put each stick in a separate channel, (single channel mode). After that, the system would boot to DOS in single channel mode, NOT in dual channel mode.

As soon as I connected the DVD and HD to install an OS, the board began a three boot and fail routine. The error message from the BIOS was "previous overclocking failed" & "press any key except DEL to enter BIOS". The screen showed the CPU settings were at factory default, so I assume the BIOS is referring to OC'ing the memory.

I tried various memory settings, auto and manual, reset the BIOS numerous times, even tried slowing down the CPU, nothing helped. Then I got a message that the BIOS was corrupt. The BIOS asked for the USB stick with the backup BIOS on it. I put it in, but the MB didn't find it.

I hard reset the BIOS and got back to the three pumps and dump routine, but no further. I was about to disconnect the DVD and HD to attempt going back to the successful DOS boot, when the MB died - it fails to respond, at all.

I have tested the PS, CPU, eVGA on a different MB :: all OK. I got the Kingston memory after the 2nd board died, so I couldn't swap-test the OCZ and don't have a board that will accept the OCZ memory, but it seems to be a part of the problem, if not THE problem.

==================================
Here's why I ask the question, 'crapset or chipset':

1. I've read dozens of problems with P45 based MB's with memory, MSI, DFI, Asus, Gigabyte. It seems to be more chipset than MB brand, IMO.

2. As you may or may not know, but the chipset was originally delayed last year due to "problems over compatibility between the chipset's PCI Express x16 port and graphics cards".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-delay-p45-chipset-mid-june,5107.html

3. I also found numerous reports by users of problems with P45 based MB's ANYTIME the USB configuration is changed. In other words, if a USB device is unplugged or plugged in, there's problems. The reports say the affected persons have to clear the BIOS in order to get the MB to boot.

--------------------

So,

Is the P45 chipset a piece of crap? Or is it a solid chipset worth purchasing?

At this point, I just can't decide whether to get another P45 MB or go with a different chipset.

Looking forward to hearing from all who OWN or have BUILT a P45 system.

Thanks, in advance,

GeoD

Here's the list of components:

Rosewill PSU RG530-2 530W
MSI P45 PLATINUM 775
eVGA - 8600GT 256M
INTEL Q9550 2.83 mHz - 12M
WD 80G 8M SATA2 WD800JD
RAID - pair of WD 640G SATA2 WD6401AALS
OCZ - 1Gx2 OCZ2F10662GK
(I exchanged the OCZ for: Kingston HyperX 1Gx2 KHX6400D2K2/2G (800 mHz))

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Intel P45: CRAPset or CHIPset?

I'm going into the third month of trying to get a P45 chipset MB motherboard stable enough to install an OS. I'm trying to decide whether to RMA the board for the 2nd time or get a refund and go with a different chipset MB.

Throughout this entire period, (except when testing other BIOS configurations), I have kept the BIOS settings to the fewest options possible, (a specific setting I did choose was Spread Spectrum, disabled, in the memory settings). During testing, I tried auto settings for the memory, I tried different manual timing and speed settings. I tried fail-safe AND and optimized defaults.

The first board, with nothing other than memory and a video card installed (booting from a USB mem stick to DOS), wasn't stable enough to flash the BIOS, (I was getting erratic recognition of the memory by the BIOS). The Q9550 needed the newest BIOS, so the board went back.

The second board was stable enough to flash the BIOS, but ONLY with either stick of the OCZ memory installed, NOT with both sticks installed.

MB tech said flashing would solve the mem problems. It didn't.

OCZ tech told me to put each stick in a separate channel, (single channel mode). After that, the system would boot to DOS in single channel mode, NOT in dual channel mode.

As soon as I connected the DVD and HD to install an OS, the board began a three boot and fail routine. The error message from the BIOS was "previous overclocking failed" & "press any key except DEL to enter BIOS". The screen showed the CPU settings were at factory default, so I assume the BIOS is referring to OC'ing the memory.

I tried various memory settings, auto and manual, reset the BIOS numerous times, even tried slowing down the CPU, nothing helped. Then I got a message that the BIOS was corrupt. The BIOS asked for the USB stick with the backup BIOS on it. I put it in, but the MB didn't find it.

I hard reset the BIOS and got back to the three pumps and dump routine, but no further. I was about to disconnect the DVD and HD to attempt going back to the successful DOS boot, when the MB died - it fails to respond, at all.

I have tested the PS, CPU, eVGA on a different MB :: all OK. I got the Kingston memory after the 2nd board died, so I couldn't swap-test the OCZ and don't have a board that will accept the OCZ memory, but it seems to be a part of the problem, if not THE problem.

==================================
Here's why I ask the question, 'crapset or chipset':

1. I've read dozens of problems with P45 based MB's with memory, MSI, DFI, Asus, Gigabyte. It seems to be more chipset than MB brand, IMO.

2. As you may or may not know, but the chipset was originally delayed last year due to "problems over compatibility between the chipset's PCI Express x16 port and graphics cards".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-delay-p45-chipset-mid-june,5107.html

3. I also found numerous reports by users of problems with P45 based MB's ANYTIME the USB configuration is changed. In other words, if a USB device is unplugged or plugged in, there's problems. The reports say the affected persons have to clear the BIOS in order to get the MB to boot.

--------------------

So,

Is the P45 chipset a piece of crap? Or is it a solid chipset worth purchasing?

At this point, I just can't decide whether to get another P45 MB or go with a different chipset.

Looking forward to hearing from all who OWN or have BUILT a P45 system.

Thanks, in advance,

GeoD

Here's the list of components:

Rosewill PSU RG530-2 530W
MSI P45 PLATINUM 775
eVGA - 8600GT 256M
INTEL Q9550 2.83 mHz - 12M
WD 80G 8M SATA2 WD800JD
RAID - pair of WD 640G SATA2 WD6401AALS
OCZ - 1Gx2 OCZ2F10662GK
(I exchanged the OCZ for: Kingston HyperX 1Gx2 KHX6400D2K2/2G (800 mHz))

I owned 2 p45 motherboards. They were Asus and DFI. No problems with either. However, every MSI board I've owned I've had a problem with over the last few years. I don't buy MSI anymore, period.

GeoNOregon

I owned 2 p45 motherboards. They were Asus and DFI. No problems with either. However, every MSI board I've owned I've had a problem with over the last few years. I don't buy MSI anymore, period.

Were either of the MSI boards P45 chipset boards?

I read plenty about Asus & DFI P45 boards having problems, but that's the point of my saying I didn't want to get into a brand X vs brand Y discussion. I'm trying to figure out if the CHIPSET is crap, not which brand manages to get the crap working the best.

I'd been building systems for about 8-9 years when I found out the Dell, Gateway and other 'inexpensive' systems, (especially systems that were a non-standard mHz, remember?), were buying rejected chips from Intel and moding their MB's so they'd run. Didya ever wonder why these systems could be such crap, sometimes?

I got this straight from someone from Intel, who had no reason to lie, and was someone who would know the truth. That's how HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway and others were consistently able to sell systems cheaper than smaller OEM's.

But, to the point, unless a person is building multiple systems everyday using the SAME mb, brand information is anecdotal, and basically worthless info.

The pertinent info from you is you've built two P45 systems without problems... thanks.

GeoD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
P45's are fine. Unfortunately you got a bad board. It happens. Searching on this website and the web in general yields nothing about the P45 chipset having mass problems. If you want to stick with s775, the P45 chipset is the way to go. Low power usage and great overclocking abilities (with higher end models)

Last edited:
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Got a p5q3 runs great : ]

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
P45 as far as i know is a pretty good chipset and a good evolution from the P35. Pcie 2.0, 8/8 capabilites, hell oc, ich 10. Its just good. Except for msi ones. Msi makes good boards but their p45 line were just bulls***

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Were either of the MSI boards P45 chipset boards?

I read plenty about Asus & DFI P45 boards having problems, but that's the point of my saying I didn't want to get into a brand X vs brand Y discussion. I'm trying to figure out if the CHIPSET is crap, not which brand manages to get the crap working the best.

I'd been building systems for about 8-9 years when I found out the Dell, Gateway and other 'inexpensive' systems, (especially systems that were a non-standard mHz, remember?), were buying rejected chips from Intel and moding their MB's so they'd run. Didya ever wonder why these systems could be such crap, sometimes?

I got this straight from someone from Intel, who had no reason to lie, and was someone who would know the truth. That's how HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway and others were consistently able to sell systems cheaper than smaller OEM's.

But, to the point, unless a person is building multiple systems everyday using the SAME mb, brand information is anecdotal, and basically worthless info.

The pertinent info from you is you've built two P45 systems without problems... thanks.

GeoD

First of all, there is no need to be smug when people are trying to offer answers/help. Second, it is widely known that the large computer makers use some subpar components, and will often grab up factory "seconds" to lower costs. That's why I started building in the first place. As erocker said, I have not seen a ton of problems reported with the p45 chipset. Both of my boards worked just fine.

GeoNOregon

<<< Paulieg
I'm sorry you perceived my discussion as being "smug", it wasn't my intent to be anything other than 'forumly' and discuss the topic. My apologies for whatever offended you.

I just re-read my response and other than erroneously phrasing the question about the MSI boards which makes it confusing, I'm not sure how I would change my response.

Since you were the first to answer my question and you went right to brand x vs brand y, and I was trying to keep the discussion away from that, I decided it would be a good idea to repeat my original intent. (it's also why I didn't make my response directly at you as I did with this one.)

I then remembered one of the reasons 'brand x vs brand y' can be a faulty argument, and shared some information with the forum about Dell, Gateway, et al.

How you can perceive that as being "self-congratulatory" is beyond me, but as I said before, thanks for the input that you've had two P45 with no problems.

GeoD

<<< erocker "Searching on this website and the web in general yields nothing about the P45 chipset having mass problems."

That's very surprising as I have found quite a bit without really trying that hard. I accidentally found the USB and pre-release problems in the course of trying to find info about the memory problems I was having. I went to several forums that are specific to one brand of board and found concentrations of memory issues with the P45 boards at each.

I'd need to go back to the forums to make certain, but I do believe the MSI forum was the only one that had a 'sticky' relevant to the 'fake' 1066 memory problem, (OC's from the factory). Though the sticky wasn't specifically targeted at the P45 chipset boards, the P45s appear to have the majority of problems with the 'fake' 1066 memory.

Thanks to you, and all for the info.

GeoD

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
P35 is my favorite 775 chipset, because P45 is a bitch to get stable if you're doing extreme OCing (they have so many settings).

I also have had very bad luck with MSI boards, though. I stopped using them back in the skt939 days.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Im runing a EP45-UD3P P45 motherboard. I just overclocked a e5200 to 4.565Ghz validated. Im in love with this p45 its stable, looks good, and when i get a q9550 ill prob do 4.0ghz with it ehhhhhhhh :toast:

System Name Tahiti Treat
Processor i7 4770K @ 4500MHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero
Cooling Custom H20
Memory Patriot Viper 8GB @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) 2X Sapphire 7870XT (Tahiti Core) @ 1150/1500 CrossFire
Storage 2 x Intel 120GB 520 Series SSD Raid0 # 2x Seagate 1TB Raid0 # 1 WD 2TB EARS
Display(s) 3 x 22" Eyefinity
Case Cosmos S Custom
Audio Device(s) Asus X-FI
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6848547
My Maximus II Formula is a great clocker
put a Q9550 and a Q9650 to 500FSB and my 8400 will do 535FSB

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The first thing I notice right away is that both sets of RAM you have used are rated for 2.0v or higher.

IMO, this is likely your problem. The P45(and P35 and P965) boards that I've used all default the memory to 1.8v. And they have all been very unstable when initially used with RAM that required higher voltages. I keep a single 512MB stick of DDR2-533 rated for 1.8V specifically for boards like this. Boot with this stick, set the RAM voltage to 2.0v or 2.1v, then put the good stuff in.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
all I can say is that its better than my VIA PT880 Pro, which only supports pci-e 4x and agp 8x (combo board, runs agp at 4x if using at the same time as pci-e)

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
My P45 is bulletproof. Good performance and absolutely NO issues to complain about whatsoever. I thought this was common knowledge with the P45? It really is one of the best!