1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

p4 2.4 overclock?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mk_ln, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, i was just wondering if it is worth it to overclock my dell 4600 (pll 952601). at first i thought that it wasnt possible to OC my cpu with the mobo i have, however, i came across a method. with all stock hardware and not being able to overclock in the BIOS, is it safe for me to OC my fsb @213 MHz?...i mean, because i cannot lock the AGP and PCI busses and set the dividers, will OCing the fsb mess up anything? (sorry...im new to overclocking :eek:) thanks in advance :)

2. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, It's not possible to overclock a dell. There's a sticky devoted to telling people this.

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, have you tried CPUZ, it has software that lets you increase fsb, agp,pci-e speeds. The only thing is that the results aren't saved. it's more of an On-The-Fly overclocking. BTW it's not CPU-Z it's from the makers of CPU-Z. just search it.

4. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the replies :)

thats what i initially thought as well, however, i came across this. it does actually work, but since it i cant set the dividers for the agp/pci busses i was windering if it was actually worth it to overclock my fsb @213MHz. in doing so, i was able to get my cpu running at about 2.56GHz from stock 2.4GHz. so.....is there any software or anything i can do to make the OC safer? (i.e. lock the AGP/PCI bus speeds or set the dividers). Thanks in advance. :)

5. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, that's cool. I'll need to have a go at that on the family dell downstairs *shudders*

if you increase the fsb slowly, while running a stress testing program like Prime 95, you will see when you have gone slightly too far, as errors will start showing up.

You won't get a lot more out of it, but anything is good ;)

Good luck :)

6. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks, but is there no way to set the dividers for the AGP/PCI busses :( ?

7. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i doubt it.. your agp bus is a divider of the 200 fsb say 3.. it should be 66mrhz it will probably go up 72 okay..

your pci is a divider of 6 i think and should be 33mhrz.. that should go up to 38 or so okay..

most things will stand up to a 10% overclock.. if your machine runs okay at whatever speed to take it to.. it is okay.. if not u just have to slow it down until it does run okay..

u wont notice a 10% oveclock in real life.. so in some ways it isnt worth doing..

trog

8. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok...thanks :D

9. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No AGP/PCI lock will limit your overclock a lot. a 2.4c (800Mhz) has a lot of potential though in the right board, usually get near the 300Mhz with the stock cooler.

10. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    i suppose my board is the wrong type lol...