1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

P5Q can't see HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rhino, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Having updated my 775 rig as far as can go, more or less, I'm left with enough stuff to make a "back up" rig. So it's all there, boots into bios screen, set to AHCI (or IDE) but no sign of the hard drive. I've tried two HDDs (both with OS already installed) in port 1 (didn't try different ports yet) but no sign of either.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    do they work in another system? have you screwed up something basic like the power/sata cables?

3. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Hdd

I used the molex to start with then realised it usually had the sata power connectors so tried that too. No odds. I can hear they're powered up and running. It's just the mobe can't see them.
    Switching out preinstalled HDDs has never been a problem before.
    I've had issues recently when trying to switch to a q9300 from an e8400 (which didn't work in the end, had to back to the e8400) which made me wonder if the drives need replacing, they most both be around 4-5 years old.

4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    they should detect in the BIOS, unless you put them on a secondary controller or something by accident.

5. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Progress

I switched the sata ports from 1 to 2 and now it can see it, it gets half way in to booting (coloured swirly thing) and the cuts to the "problem booting insert windows disc and select windows repair" page. So I will do this in a minute and I expect it will either work or I will have to reinstall.
    Thanks for your assistance.

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    must be something wrong with that first port, how odd.

you can repair install, but a fresh install is usually better if you're moving a drive from another system.

7. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    miffed

having tried everything possible in this situation I have come to the conclusion, having just seen the "I_R_Q_L not equal" screen, that this "new" Q9300 is the culprit. Very irritating because I wanted to build an AMD rig but chose the ultra econ option and just bought the Q9300 on ebay for a ton. Thus unlikely to be returnable.

8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I do not think so . Try setting the HDD in the port that it sees the HDD and make sure you set it to IDE Not the other . Reinstall windows .

9. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    I tried that.

I switched the boot configuration to dvd drive and get the same reaction as with the HDD (which it could see when I switched it to another port). The reaction is that appropriate behaviour begins (boots into OS or "installing files" if trying to reinstall) and then cuts dead after 4-5 seconds. It did this when I put it in the main rig so I put back the E8400 and everything was fine.

10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Recheck you CPU and RAM . But I do not think that this would be the cause as it just would not work if the CPU was bad . The RAM maybe messed up . How many SATA ports do you have ? I have like 8 of them try every one that you have not tried so far .

11. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Recheck.

The RAM is brand spanking and I ran the system memory check which informed that spectrum is green. I agree that surely if the CPU is duff then wouldn't would'nt even show the bios screen, which, now I remember, it ended up not doing on the main rig. There's something up with this CPU I'm sure.

12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well take it out look at the CPU socket and make sure no pins are bent . Clean the CPU up really good even on the bottom reinstall it . If it is messed up RMA it back to Intel they will take it back or SHOULD !

13. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    You think so?

Pins are good.
    Clean it up? It was spotless when I put it in. You mean maybe a lump of dust (for example) snuck in at some stage and could be blocking connection at some point. I'll give it whizz.
    Thing about returning it to Intel is that I bought it third party so only have record of purchase but no details specific to the die itself ie manufacture date and so on.
    I wasn't aware Intel had returns dept for Joe Public.

14. trickson

Thanks Received:
    You can give it a try .
    Intel may have some thing .

rhino says thanks.
  15. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Intel

I'll see what Intel say, I shall'nt stay up long waiting for a reply though.

16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I hear you .

17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Any known compatibility issues with the 45nm Quads with the P5Q?

My motherboard for instance is supposed to be able to run 45nm Core 2's but has problems with 45nm Quads.

Although I have a 680i chipset.

18. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Did you try to clear the cmos/bios of the motherboard first? See the clear cmos jumper settings in the manual of the motherboard and remove the battery from the motherboard and wait for a few minutes before reversing the process; see if that helps. And also try different sata cables (preferbly new ones). And the motherboard may have compatibility issues with certain harddrive brands/types/models, altough if the harddrives didn't work with your other PC, then they are probably defective (e.g. do you hear clicking?).

If I remember it correctly the Nforce 680i Sli chipset does not support the 45 mm Core 2 Quad processors*, only the successor Nforce 750, 780 and 790 and newer chip-sets do. And the P5Q makes use of the Intel P45 chipset which works with 65 mm and 45 mm Intel dual core and quad core processors, so it should work with the Q9300.

19. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Q9300

Thanks for your input here.
    This Q9300 was originally intended for my slightly newer P5N72-T rig. Which I eventually managed to coax into life (not very impressive performance, photoshop c5 boot and render times considerably slower), then ran ccleaner and the after that it would cut out half way through boot so I cleared the cmos/battery and then it all went dead so I switched back the E8400 and it booted first time.
    I assumed it must be a compatability issue with mobo so I'm trying to put the Q9300 in the P5Q rig. To begin with I'd forgotten about the behaviour in the P5N72 rig and assumed the harddrive might have had it but the drive works fine in the other rig. Then, once I'd juggled the cables and ports around the same behaviour displayed in the P5N72 rig started. Having tried the cmos trick in the P5N72 (780i) rig I have to wait a day or two to motivate myself to do it again. I've also checked for compatability.
    Thanks again, much appreciated.