1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

P8Z77-I Deluxe Buggy Bios?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Jegergrim, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just flashed the bios to 504 from 501, both are practically the same no difference, using i5 2500k.

It seem's its random whether changes in bios take effect after a reboot, for instance enabling Intel Speedstep/Turbomode or Vengeance XMP. Also I had troubles setting Dram timings and enabling XMP, which resulted in an error "Overclocking failed press F2..".

Right now even though I set the CPU ratio (multiplier) to 38x, my CPU speed is still on 3.3Ghz, checked on Real Temp & CPU-Z. Also when in Bios it also has some graphic errors, like my mouse curser will leave traces on the screen, and only disappear when I move the curser back over them..earlier this week I tried assembling a CPU cooler on it, and might've used more force than necessary, could this be a bios issue, or perhaps damage to the bios chip and/or CPU itself?

Running Lin Pack (Intel Burn Test) for 30 minutes gave me an error: [img=http://s8.postimage.org/xn3g04l4h/Linpack.jpg]
    UAC was disabled at the time..

2. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    This happens when you turn off all of the power saving mechanisms on the board and in Windows?

4. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    u got Windows Professional or Ultimate? bcs than u can try disable UAC and Run as Administrator.

if u only run home than be sure to run IntelBurnTest as Administrator since that's what the error also says.

5. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't use any power saving settings in BIOS/Windows, I did disable and re-enable speedstep that seems to work though, but turbomode or overclocking doesn't work and doesn't display even if enabled.
    Win 7 Ultimate, although the error also states unstable system/software bug and so forth. I'll try another 30 minute run with administrator, problem is, my chip also seems to run hotter than usual, so the stock cooler doesn't entirely cover for it.

6. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump

7. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    tired reflashing the bios? even if there ain't a new bios out, just flash it with the one already on the board or start a thread over at http://rog.asus.com/forum/ and see if HiVizMan or another of the Asus/ROG ppl, maybe they know what's wrong.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  8. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    I just got the asus z77 v and noticed a similar thing when trying my first oc, no matter what i set it stayed at 3.3ghz.
    Opened up realtemp and unticked the disable turbo check box, all problems gone now :)

Jegergrim says thanks.
  9. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, I will try to do exactly that

10. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the double post, you can edit this if needed moderators;
    Thanks for this I think this might be one of my problems, thanks again :) One quick question, I guess the bioses are similar; changing CPU ratio, automatically enables "turbo-mode" right? Meaning the OC goes under turbo mode, thanks again :)

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Any OC beyond the CPU's base multiplier uses Turbo on SB and IVB. For example, my machine uses turbo for any multi above 36. Disabling Turbo sets the multi to 36 on my machine and increasing it automatically turns turbo on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've experienced this on both the 2600k and my 3820.

Jegergrim says thanks.
  12. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I guess that's how multiplier OC works :)

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Only with modern Intel chips. Unlocked AMD chips will let you change the multiplier regardless of the turbo state iirc. I haven't used an AMD chip with Turbo so that's a guess. My PII 940 was wide open though.