• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

P8Z77-V no POST, BIOS or signals

TBGAPowa

System Name Ultimate Thor
Processor Intel Core i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G. Skill Ares 1600 16GB (2x8)
Video Card(s) Asus Direct CUII GTX 670
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Case NZXT Switch 810 Gunmetal
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
brand new. everything is plugged in, leds on, fans spinning but no BIOS and POST start up. it didn't come with a speaker so i don't think i could hear any beeps. the monitor, keyboard and mouse aren't getting signals

i am not sure if it was my imagination but i do think i heard ticking sounds and smelled a bit of smoke while installing the cpu and hsf with the mobo placed on the cardboard box cover that came with it. or it may just be the smell of new computer hardware.

the mobo led was on so i don't understand

i can’t trust any technical service with expensive parts, maybe if it was oem i wouldn’t care as much.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Your motherboard should have a number of LEDs on it, labeled:
DRAM_LED, CPU_LED, and VGA_LED.

Are any of those lights staying lit up? You also have the fancy little flashing feature that doesn't require a CPU or memory, so maybe flashing the BIOS is in order. I know with my P9X79 Deluxe, it wouldn't boot because it was getting hung up on the DRAM. Come to find out flashing the latest BIOS fixed it. Make sure to read the instructions for it though, because you need to name the BIOS something specific for it to work.

Also, if the DRAM LED stays lit, the MemOK! button should let it get to post if there isn't something really wrong that is preventing it from booting.

Let us know how it goes after you check the LEDs and flash the BIOS.

Also, please fill in your system specs in the user control panel so we know all of the components that you're trying to use. It's always better to give more information than too little.

TBGAPowa

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
MemOK!/DRAM led lights up red, what does that mean? i will try all the things that have been recommended to me when i have the time. thank you Aquinus for such valuable information. oh yeah and comp specs are updated.

i cant see the cpu led because the hsf covers it, boot device led i believe was green and the flbk led wasn't on.

and i don't think there is a VGA led

here are some pics of the leds on the mobo

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Can you update the BIOS by using the white USB port and button on I/O panel? Your memory might not be supported on the BIOS you're currently running. It is very likely that a newer BIOS might solve this issue. Also, there should be a button near the DRAM LED labeled "MemOK!" which you might want to use:

ASUS Manual for P8Z77-V said:
MemOK! Switch
Installing DIMMs that are incompatible with the motherboard may cause system boot failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! switch lights continuously. Press and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic memory compatibility tuning for successful boot."
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/E7074_P8Z77-V.pdf

Once it is working, I would still flash the BIOS anyways if you take this route and it works.

I'm not one for reading manuals, but honestly, ASUS does a lot of things to their boards that are sometimes worth reading up on.

TBGAPowa

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
UPDATE: solved- i tested the RAM one at a time both were ok, then tried both (properly reseating them this time, doh!) and the red DRAM led turned off the POST splashed on screen and the keyboard, mouse and monitor got their signals.

thanks Aquinus for taking your time to respond to my issue i will definitely look into the mobo manuals in more detail from now on :p