1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

page/swap file size and location for 2-3 hard drives

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jt12345, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jt12345 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most recommend putting the page file on a seperate hard drive from Windows. So that one hard drive is reading and another hard drive is writting.

MS recommends page file sizes of a Min 1.5X to a Max 3X system RAM. But they also say to have a page file on your OS drive for errors. That Windows will choose the Page file on the drive that Windows is not on.

So my setups currently are:

With 2 hard drives...
    --Windows/games/programs on 1st hard drive
    --Page File on 2nd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096 page file size)

With 3 hard drives...
    --Windows on 1st hard drive
    --Games/programs on 2nd hard drive
    --Page file on 3rd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096mb page file size)

How are these configurations?

Does the maximum page/swap file size of 3X system ram apply to a single hard drive or all hard drives with swap files on the system total.

Ie. can i put from example above a swap file on my system drive 4096mb and another page file on other drives of 4096mb each for a total of 2 page files or 4096X2 that is greater than the 3x system ram??

thanks