1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Painkiller remake

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If any game needed a remake, this is it. I didn't care much for the game the first time around so I doubt I'd enjoy this one.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I kinda felt the same way about the game as you do. I didn't care much after the first expansion and that's only because I got the Painkiller Gold Edition which came with the original + expansion.
    But if I remember correctly, the original Painkiller was somewhat of a competitive game. Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL) if anyone remembers that, had this game in its list of competitive games that they used to host tournaments for, along with CS 1.6 waaaayyy back when.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I can't say I agree that Painkiller is a game that is in desperate need of a remake. It was pretty good graphically for it's time and used Havok physics well. It was a fairly simplistic game, yet had some decent and complex jumping puzzles and extra challenges for an arcade shooter.

Furthermore, it's already been done to death with various releases of the original and some pretty bad follow ups that only made it obvious that the core dev team was lacking in bringing any new ideas to it. This one has only a couple of the original core devs and of course lacks the key creative lead Adrian Chmielarz.

I'm doubting we'll see much new here other than a retouching of graphics with a different engine, and SO many people don't use UE3 well it's just sad. Given this team's track record of not producing much anything but Necrovsion, which wasn't that great, it looks to be like they're still just clinging to a tired old title with a cult fanbase.

This is probably ten fold worse than what's been done with the Serious Sam franchise. Some people need to learn you can't rest on the laurels of one game concept forever. Oddly enough there will still be Painkiller fanatics crawling out of the woodwork to try yet another installment in the hopes to perpetuate their PK cravings, seeking desperately to relive that nirvana they had with the original.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I liked the original game...

Just saw it for pre-order on Steam. Painkiller: Hell and Damnation.

This said, I waited until it was discounted and bought the whole pack on Steam last year. There are four games, and several variants of the first game out there.
    .../Gold/Black
    Redemption
    Resurrection
    Overdose

The games are pretty rough graphically, and I might be being a little generous there. That said, graphics aren't what did the series in. A return to old school shooters was nice, especially considering how badly Halo was poisoning the landscape. Of course Painkiller was awesome for a time.

Then Painkiller forgot that the next step was to get better. It did what it originally did, but the expansions never really expanded anything. Prettier levels, longer games, and a budget game cannot fix a lack in innovation.

I look forward to a Painkiller remake. That is, based upon the assumption that the remake includes new content rather than just a high gloss set of paint...
  6. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Painkiller is better than serious sam... My opinion... And the music of Painkiller is something amazing.
  7. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    It would be nice if people can fly can remake there own game.
  8. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    I was a big Painkiller fan, that being said this remake sucks..

I tried some leaked beta and wut? It looked like painkiller 1 ported to U3E (textures, guns, enemies, levels), there is a new default weapon but its meh.. Also enemies felt cluttered and all died the same way including witches. And speaking of these witches they weren't scary at all, quite the opposite they ruined them.

And performance was terrible too, its plagued by U3E+physx streaming stutter.

Im very disappointed with this preview, I lost all my hopes for final rls :shadedshu
  9. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Well i have to say i actully loved Painkiller and the 1 expansion after that but the rest where utter crap

TheHunter you can't really say anything about the leaked beta cuz i have tried it too that was a very early leak before they really even worked on anything that was when they did just port it to the UT3 engine and did a few tweaks and minor changes that was before they even had the idea of a full overhul and remake That was them just testing to see if the game can run on the UT3 engine i remember seeing that on there forums
  10. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I liked Painkiller and the weapons in the game, the only issue I had was it was somewhat repetitive in a way. Would I buy the remake? Not sure at this time.