1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Painting Case: How long does it take to cure spray paint?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by $immond$, Jul 8, 2010.

1. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

1st Color Coat
    "It sparkles in the sunshine" lol

http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-2/2/

Reading this page it says wet sand after 2-3 days.

http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to4.html

Reading here it says after 2 weeks.

I just sanded, primed and spray painted my computer case. My color coat is RustOleum Metallic Cobalt Blue 242 628. I plan to have an automotive finish once completed, I am just confused on the cure time and when I should wet sand and apply a second coat.. :confused: The case I am using is an Sugo SG02.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're using automotive paint you can safely apply the second coat after 2-3 days. (My business is in automotive paint lol)

It'd be sufficiently dry but not 'cured' - which means completely dry throughout all its thickness.

Make sure you apply a thin coat, otherwise the paint would never cure but be dry on the outside and remain 'soft'.

Edit: I assume it's 2K paint you're using?
    $immond$ says thanks.
  3. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, well I actually picked it up at home depot but the can says for automotive, bikes, door hinges and "more". Its for indoor/outdoor applications.
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    As BP said, this depends on the dilution of the paint(and hence the type), different paint have different times. the best way to judge is paint a scrap piece of metal during the original painting process. and after a day or two you can test(with a poking thing) on the scrap piece if its dried enough.

Note that the "scrap" piece mentioned may well be the underside of your case.
  5. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010