1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Palit Revolution 700 Deluxe - HD 4870 X2 2048 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Nov 10, 2008.

1. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Seeing it lag a couple times on benches where the original 4870X2 had it beat is a little misgiving....
    great card and all but the price and the performance....eh, Im iffy.

2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    yes, i believe there are probably architectural differences, and w1zzard belongs to no one.

3. wolf2009 Guest

where do you get all this info from ????

:respect::respect::respect:

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll put my money on the internet.:p Perhaps the outside chance of some printed publication.

5. Arkilae

Arkilae New Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU recommended?

This shit is for niche market only, it should only be "recommended" if your running around with 600$ in your pocket and you're either A) An idiot or B) A rich idiot.

This is company ass kissing.

6. wolf2009 Guest

Well for the first step, you want to know what you want to learn :D that is pretty tough

7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: A) PALIT :rockout: B) if you had a job you could get it C) thats why theres credit cards :roll:

8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you have the money and are looking for something in that performance class then i can recommend this card to you as one of the options you could choose from.

obviously this card is not for everyone, the same way an intel igp is not for gamers but still a great choice for everybody just doing office and internet browsing.

there is no product (in any category) that fits everyone

9. Arkilae

Arkilae New Member

Thanks Received:
    But you're recommending it why again? Oh to those looking for performance class cards that fit only a niche market. I have a completely difference sense as to how recommendations and reviews should go by, things should only be recommended when and only when "They meet and exceed expectations of that product". I mean come on even your dollars to performance chart is in ill favor of this card.

Now given the fact that in the review, the CONS both in number and severity outweigh any of the PROs, how the hell would a product still get a rating of 9/10 and be EDITOR'S CHOICE recommended? Telling me it's because it is only recommended to performance maniacs is simply not good enough to warrant someone blowing that amount of cash on the card or even allowing a TPU Recommended sticker on it.

To make my point clearer before I get warned again for bullshit, why on god's green earth would you put an editor's choice recommended sticker and a 9/10 rating on a card that in all actuality is an expensive paperweight, in cost, in performance, in consumption of power, and with the review of it saying the card has more cons then pros. It just seems to me that it is company ass kissing rather than a neutral review of a card. It also in my opinion brings down the weight with which the "TPU recommended or Editor's choice" sticker has an effect when seen at the end.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    while I would love to be able to spend more than $500 on a GPU unfortunately I can not so I must live vicariously through these reviews..

However, for that much $$ its a shame the cooler is so poorly designed (especially since it takes up 3 slots) Seems that if they had that much space they could have made a much better cooler than the design could have trickled down to the other cards.

11. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:

It's rated by what market it is in, and not the whole market point of view.
    To add it is also rated in all the markets
    [​IMG]

High class market it's a rated 9 card. For what you would get for around 500USD.

This is how I understand TechPowerUp!'s system on doing reviews on different products.

12. Arkilae

Arkilae New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah? It's a high performance card with a low performance dollar ratio, how is that a good thing? It's a great thing if you have the money to blow, but when compared to other cards reviewed it is bollocks, that's why I'm scratching my head as to why it got an Editor's Choice, considering, that in my mind, that would be reserved for the cards that perform exceptionally well in all categories rather than a niche market filled with rich idiots. :laugh:

I give up anyway.

13. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    If the card cost 500, and is supposed to be a high level card. Then it performed as a 9500GT would in games, and benching programs. Then the card would score a 1/10, because it would not be in the market they are calming it to be in.

Being rich would be the view point of the person buying the card. Some people would rather buy the top end, and have less problems with PC games. It could be more cost effective for those people options.

14. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    imagine comparing it to a 7900GTX (about the same cost before) seems like you get a lot more for your money with the 4870 X2..

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The issue has been addressed please drop the subject and remain on topic!

DaMulta says thanks.
  16. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I know that this issue has been addressed before in the past. That's why I was explaining it for him; on how it was explained on how products are rated here to all of us.

This will be dropped by me, but at the same time I think we were on the topic at hand.

17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    You know they almost charged $1000 for the Ultra, wonder how he would have reacted to that review. Seems to me that it's normal pricing for the best of the best these days. Let us not forget the debut price of the 280 GTX, and the very large number of people who bought it at that price tag.

Review conclusions are done relative to what the card is supposed to be. This card is supposed to be the best card available, and for the most part it is. If it was attempting to be a budget midrange card, well that would have resulted in a very different review.

18. wookie666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    high power consumption

I emailed Palit to ask them why the power consumption was soo high. The reply I got back was that TechPowerUp had been supplied with an engineering sample Revolution 700. The reason for the higher power consumption was because the PowerPlay feature was not optimized in the engineering sample. For the mass production unit, Palit have improved the BIOS setting to optimize the PowerPlay feature.

Hope that helps anyone who was considering to buy the card but was put off by the idle power consumption figures.