1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Parrot AR.Drone 2.0

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Frederik S, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    95Viper, cadaveca, digibucc and 3 others say thanks.
  2. Dark Revenger

Dark Revenger

Thanks Received:
    You made my day.

D4S4 says thanks.
  3. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    was about to say the same thing.

Very cool toy

4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    angry parrot is not pleased of this mockery
    [​IMG]

5. diopter

diopter

Thanks Received:
    What happens when you fly this thing over a sudden fall in ground level, like an open man hole cover as a silly example? It uses ultrasonic sensors for altitude control, so would it suddenly drop altitude like a stone if it detected that it was suddenly too high in the air i.e. far from the ground level?

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My assumption is the accellerometer would correct that, good question though.

Just have to buy one and test it out ;)

7. BernardV New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was about to order one of these the other day, but then after a pretty hefty research session I found the poor battery life (around 12 minutes per 90 minute charge cycle) to be too extreme to ignore, given the price.

There are a few solutions to the problem of course..

1. Buy a bigger battery -- not designed for the drone or approved by the manufacturer but should work.. that will push up flight time to 20 minutes per flight, unless you buy multiple of those @ around 20-50$ a pop.. now imagine buying two to three extra of those? Now your entry level fun drone has turned into a 400-500$ excercise.. :/ not worth it in my opinion.

2. Buy more of the manufacturer approved standard battery's -- each one will add 12 minutes or so, but again total price has again gone up substantially.

Unless money is no object or you are really willing to live with the horrible stock battery performance I would not recommend this as a good buy.

8. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    The AR.Drone 2.0 has a pressure based altitude sensor so going over a deep hole with a rapid transition would most likely not affect its altitude compared to ground level. It most uses the ultrasonic sensors when flying very close to the ground. In this respect the 2.0 is much better than the original.

Flying time is 12-15 minutes per charge, and the batteries around $35 last time I checked which is not bad considering the flying time they provide. Batteries for RC helicopters with the same amount of flying time are about the same and the Drone can do so much more than a regular RC helicopter.

I think the majority of users would be totally satisfied by having two batteries.

diopter and NHKS say thanks.