1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Partition a hard drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by t77snapshot, Jul 23, 2009.

1. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I have a new HDD that I would like to partition and I will be installing Win7 (rc) as my OS. I know very little about partitioning so what is the best way to go: Can I create partitions before I install the OS? should I use Win7's partition program or a third-party program?

edit: sorry for posting this in the wrong section:eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Anyone on TPU today:( I was hoping to get this going tonight, I have google this with great info but no real good advice, can anyone help:respect:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't know about win7's partitioning, but if it's anything like XP and vista then it is perfectly adequate, it will give you the option to create the partition during install. you only need to create the system partition at that point because you can partition the rest from within the OS once it is installed (at least you can in vista, i imagine they will carry that capability over)

t77snapshot says thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Plug it in and partition it in the current OS then shut down unplug the other HDDs and install the the OS to the new HDD.. Safest way as i been told that you can have issue's with win 7 bootloader if you delete win 7..

Not 100% sure about it either i guess it might depend on how the OS's and such are installed too. Niether XP x64 or Win 7 gone wrong yet so..

5. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    OK, so I created 4 partitions or at least I thought I did.... it only shows 3. The 4th one is 363.26 GB - that was going to be drive for pics/music. But it say "Unallocated". How do make this usable storage?

Sorry for the noob questions this is my first day hour using Win7
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Right click on it, click create volume and follow the wizzard :)

t77snapshot says thanks.
  7. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Thanks alex:D

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Argh! So many partitions! I never use more than 2 myself.

While you're at it (ie before you load anything onto the drive) you should fool around with the disk management utility, try extending partitions, shrinking volumes and things like that, just so you know how to do it next time. It's pretty handy

9. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was originally going to just do 2, one for OS/programs and the other for media storage. The reason I created so many was because a friend told me I could keep my OS on a separate partition from the rest of my programs (and also separate from games). By doing this his said when opening programs /games it would go directly to a partition, rather then travel through the entire hard disk, thus performing faster.

This all made sense in my head, but now it seems much more of a challenge. I can't figure out how to get my "Program Files" to be separate from the OS. How do I go about doing this?

I am currently running Win7 RC 7100 build
    (see above pic)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

:roll:

You can't tell windows to put the "program files" on a seperate drive.

You CAN however, install programs TO the drive. Just select a custom directory when installing whatever you want. These programs will NOT be "installed" if you format windows, however.

11. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    So your saying every time I download a program I have too manually key in the file name/directory? Is there a way to configure the new programs to automatically be placed in the G drive (for example) the why it would normally be with default settings?

I just installed Crysis on my "Game" partition and I had to key in the file commands myself, which is very inconvenient.:shadedshu

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    There should be a button next to the directory input box labeled "browse". :p

AFAIK, NO. there is no way to set it as "default".

Information also added with the installer, such as registry entries, drivers, and save files (may or may not) will most likely be defaulted to the C drive, and things like registry will be (windows) install specific, while game saves will sometimes be reconfigurable, be stored in the games directory, or be defaulted to the current users 'my documents' directory.

Some games require registry information, other games (Such as WoW, and warcraft III), do not and will run with just the folder stored somewhere.

t77snapshot says thanks.
  13. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess that the setting that makes programs install by default to C:\Program Files is actually part of the installer program itself, not part of windows, because some installers still default to C:\

I wouldn't install a program anywhere but C: drive unless C: was getting full. Sure you have to reinstall after formatting, but that's half the fun

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I install windows and programs to C: (whats the point of installing elsewhere, they wont work after a format?)

I have games drive seperate, some need to be reinstalled after a format, some (steam games for example) dont. Main bonus is that since i dont install games often, my D: drive never fragments.

15. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't use partition magic. It's ruins or destroys your partition causing you to reinstall your OS more often than not.

If you have vista, just use the Vista disk manager. I had xp and tired out Partition magic. Long story short, I had to reinstall XP.

After partition with Partition Magic, the computer kept ranning Disk Checker upon bootup, and every time, after it was done, I received a BSOD.

I then tried to install Win7 on the 2nd partition, and same thing. it ran Disk checker, and Win7 couldn't complete its installation.

Had to format both partition and reinstall everything.

16. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the games.

90% of my games will play fine not being "installed". And I prefer to keep it that way, instead of toting around 2 CD cases full of CD's I never use. (They are also all accompanied by No-CD's for convenience.)

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    way to screw up a quote! the part you quoted doesnt talk about games, the paragraph AFTER does!