1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

partition cloning help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Darkmind, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Darkmind New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..
  2. Darkmind New Member

Thanks Received:
    Erm, so I used norton ghost to clone the partition, now how do i get it so my new drive is bootable?
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Norton Ghost does that. Be sure to disconnect the old drive before you boot the new one the first time though, or it'll get fucked up.
  4. Darkmind New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used acronis true image instead. I just reformatted and deleted the partition on my sata drive after the first attempt with ghost. Then I just started it back up, made acronis do the cloning, and it worked like a charm. :) Didn't have to reinstall or anything! I can't believe it.