1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pass on the Sprit of Chritsmas to those in need.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by 1Strive, Dec 18, 2007.

1. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, it's John here to tell a story in hope that you guys can share too.

This year I got out of the USAF and Trippled my income being a civilian. (Tax brackets suck.)
    Anyway now that money isn't as much of a problem I find myself thinking of others needs more often.

For example. My best friend since 3rd grade is stuck at home (with his mom) because he can not work due to major medical problems. (he is on Social Security/Disability) <-I am glad someone from our gen will get some $ from that program. (He lives with constant pain from his back due to a rare condition.) He also beat lucimea in high school. (spelling not checked)

Anyway my friend plays PC Games and get this mostly RTS because it hurts him to play fast paced FPS. He plays Sup Commander on a Athlon XP w/ 512mb ram and a Radeon 9500 agp card. He said he wanted a better video card but he didn't want to spend his birthday/christmas money on a AGP. (who could blame him?) I told him to hold off until after Christmas.

So here is where the "Christmas Sprit" comes in.
    I just got a new CPU (180 Opty) and 8800GTS (G92) for my socket 939 rig.
    What do I do w/ my old CPU (X2 3800+)?

I just got the parts off of newegg to build my firend a system. Then he can use his money and slap in a PCI-E video card of his choice.

Specs.
    Mobo = Asus (Socket 939, DDR, SATA, PCI-E16x)
    CPU = AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core , 64-bit (OC to 2.5GHz)
    Ram = 1GB DDR400 CAS3 Corsair (DDR is crazy expensive! Cost me $65 for this one stick)
    Video = He will choose a PCI-E card (but for now it is onboard)
    Sound = Onboard 5.1
    Network = Onboard Ethernet and Linksys USB Wireless 802.11G Adapter
    Hard Drive = 250GB SATA2.0 (WD 7,200RPM 8mb Cache)
    Optical = Sony CD/DVD/DVD-DL Burner
    Case = Solid Back Steel Mid Tower
    PS = 430watt ATX2.0 (20+4pin power connector.)
    Fans = Rear 90mm, Front 80mm, With side duct exaust to CPU. New quiet ball bearing fans.

So I have all of this hardware already or it is on it's way from newegg. I have spent right under $200 because I already had some of the parts. (CPU, HD, Wireless, Mobo, PS)

He can get more RAM if he wants for $65 (I don't have it now. Or maybe I can for his B-Day in March) But he will probally get a 8600GT or 8800GT video card.
    I think he will be happy with his new system. I know I would.

========================================
    I plan to start doing things like this for people around me that are outside my family. I have always helped family and given 10% of income to charity but I believe the more you have the more you need to give back.

Hope this inspires some of you to help someone this Holiday Season. Even if it is to rake leaves for the old widow woman down the street.

Mary-Christ-Mass,
    God Bless You,
    John
    aka
    1STRIVE
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    You sir are a good frined.
    1Strive says thanks.
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Awsome man, I'v been helping my friend out for years with his computer and internet free of charge.

Whenever Comcast would charge him money I'm just a phone call away lol.

This shouldn't just be a holiday spirt, it should be a year round thing, anyways Kudos on what you did man not very many people do that kind of stuff.

:toast:
    1Strive says thanks.
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let me know if you need anything else for the build. I'd be happy to contribute. I've got some fans, pci slot coolers, cables etc.
    1Strive says thanks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Would he like a 7600GS? :)

Now I am not trying to sound like "indian giver" but it really depends on my workplace on how much of a christmas bonus I get.
  6. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be great! It would give him better than onboard video for now. Then as he saves up more money he can get an even better card. Let me know if it works out and you can give it away. Just PM me on here. ( I will pay for shipping for anything donated to him.)

=====================
    Also if anyone has a 1GB Stick of DDR400 that would be great.:D But that maybe asking too much.

=====================
    I agree w/ the comment about this being a year round thing. It is for me (Christian 365) or at least I try to be.
    Thanks,
    1STRIVE
  7. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any Round IDE Cables? He has a IDE burner. Round Cables would be better for air flow. Also Any working fans that aren't too loud would be helpful.

PM me on here and I will pay for shipping.
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Hi 1Strive,

I just got word I may not be getting ANY christmas bonus at all from work! So my offer is more than likely off the table, I could still donate the card but the wife enjoys her games too much. Sorry I let you down :(
  9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll take a look tonight. I think I still have a couple of round IDE's. If I don't, do you want any of the flat cables? SATA cables? 80mm fans?
    1Strive says thanks.
  10. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's okay. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

God Bless,
    1STRIVE
  11. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already got him new Fans and I have SATA cables, also the DVD Burner I got him is SATA.

So I actually don't need anything else for his system. Thank You for your offer.

=================
    I informed him of the system last night (so he wouldn't spend his money between now and when I give him the computer.) He is very excited and he has some money saved for a Video Card. This is great because it means he will probally be getting a good video card. 8800GT. And he may even have enough for another Gig of RAM.

He will be having a great holiday!
    =================
    Thank You All,
    and God Bless,
    1STRIVE
  12. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    If you guys care about christmas why then not care about Matt 6:2-4 too - that will hit you like a stinger missile
    1Strive says thanks.
  13. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sharing your Faith.

There is a thing called sharing your beliefs/opinions. It is in the Gospel too and not to mention the 1st adm to the US const.

Sharing online and telling folks at church how great you are, are two different things.
    One is boasting the other is just plain sharing.

And read on to Matt. 6:19-24 +

Matt 28: 19-20 -
    19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Mary-Christ-Mass to all, and to all a good night.
    1STRIVE
    Exavier says thanks.
  14. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Very nice of you indeed. Good to see friends helping each other out.
  15. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    God bless you, Strive; it's a wonderful thing that you're doing and I'm rooting for you all the way - if I can spare anything, I'll find a way to get it to you, even if it's just cash (UK shipping = not fun)
  16. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

I don't want people sending cash because it isn't kosher. (<-- spelling?)

Anyway, He has some money (around $300 saved up) and I know his Mother is giving him like $100 (she does every year) and our mutual friends are giving him gift certificates to Best Buy so he can get some new PC games for his new system.

Really his new system will probally be better than most peoples when it is all said and done. Thanks to all who commented.

Merry Christmas,
    1STRIVE
  17. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for disturbing this this thead a little!

Christmas has nothing to do with the bible read http://www.bitsnstuff.co.uk/acatalog/Christmas_Traditions_Uncovered.html
    By the way the shepards in luke was HEARDING thier sheeps when christ was born - in winter even in israel its cold then - and for what purpose hearding them - to feed them snow? - LOL
    I dont like to be a grinch images.jpg but thats the way it is.
    I once was interested in baptism but left this chruch because a member - a girl was told to step forward and tell: I sold my car to help street children! Only to enyjoy the praise of the people there and not paise from god.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
    1Strive says thanks.
  18. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to be sorry. You are welcome here. I am glad people can use their freedom of speech. It doesn't matter that I don't agree with you, I still want to hear form others. Also debate is fun and it sharpens the mind.

I have enjoyed your comments. Keep it up.

==============
    Also it is hard to be a Christian and go to Church. Church is where most of the none Christ like behavior goes on. I only have like 1 church in 10 years and that is a Base Chapel in the UK. That is out of like a dozen churches. Please don't look at others actions in church they can't answer the question of faith for anyone but themselves. And we are all human and fall short.
    I sin every day, but I try not to, and I ask forgivness.
    That is my rant for the week.
    Thanks for reading.
    God Bless,
    1STRIVE.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  19. snuif09

snuif09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude you are a amazing person:respect::respect:

PS:anyone need an XFX 64MB geforce2 mx400 agp??(on your shipping costs)
    1Strive says thanks.
  20. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are only seeing my Lord, through me. I hope. (And when I do stuff that sux you are only seeing me.)

:respect:
  21. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to start sponsoring a child in Africa soon, thats cool to give your friend a whole computer, ive always given friends just bits and pieces, like a harddrive there, or a gfx card there.
    1Strive says thanks.
  22. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    His system is built and he is happy.

This Micro ATX system weighs less than 11lbs.

He went with a 8600GTS and a Sound Blaster Audigy.
    [​IMG]

He plays mainly RTS games like Midevil II Total War. It looks and runs great.

Here is a pic of the finished system.
    [​IMG]
    The case is solid black with now markings.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007