1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patriot Memory Launches 128 GB Xporter Magnum Flash Drive

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jun 17, 2009.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Modern portable USB flash drives tend to become equal in capacity to solid-state drives, as Patriot Memory is today introducing its highest-capacity flash drive yet, the 128 GB Xporter Magnum. With more than twice the capacity of most USB drives, the Xporter Magnum features a USB 2.0 high speed interface, is Windows ReadyBoost ready, and provides read speed of up to 31 MB/s. Constructed with a durable water and shock resistant housing and backed by a lifetime warranty, the Xporter XT Boost ranks among the best offerings users can find. The 128 GB Patriot Xporter Magnum drive is yet to be priced.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats nice - but from my experience HUGE capacity flash drives have a rather dissapointing Read/write speeds - some can transfer large/small files at decent speeds while others cant. & with 128GB. your obviously gonna be transfering big files over like DvDs, AVI's, MKVs & the usual Media & maybe a few old school games that you can run anywhere. I kept Unreal tournament & Quake III Arena on a USB stick for a long time at college so i didnt have to install it onto the machine.

3. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm...
    do I still need a 2,5" protable?

4. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    uugghhh... windows readyboost... big disappointment. Tried it on my rig and with a Patriot 4GB High Speed Flash drive and the computer was so much slower. BLAH!!!!! ICK!!!! YUCK!!!!!

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah so many "high speed" flash drives totally suck.

Mine gets 30MB/s in many benchmarks - ATTO shows the true story, where its only fast with files larger than 64KB. anything smaller, and it drops BELOW 10KB/s. thats where readyboost and such like to call home, so anything that uses the drive for random read and writes is useless.

6. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Well yer 2.5 portable is probably 300% the write speed of this thing, if its READ speed caps out at 30mb/sec, and yer 2.5" portable s probably still 18% of the price.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if his 2.5" is USB... its going to be exactly the same. USB 2.0 is the limiting factor here.

8. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I would have to say you may be wrong. (Having of course to assume this drives possible write speed as none is stated, that, in itself, usually being an admittance of guilt from the manufacturer)

USB2 can still write at up to 30mb/second if your device supports it. If this flash drive only writes at 6~9mb/second , as do MANY Kingston drives that can read at about 30mb/s, then a USB 2.5" drive will still be able to write a LOT faster , as much as 25~31mb/second depending on the drive.

I would know, I have one that writes at about 28mb/s.

If you are actually COPYING +10Gb of data this will make a HUGE difference.

I am making a good few assumptions here, but just the same - just about any modern 2.5" ext drive will be able to read / write faster than USB/MAX today, and as such will read/write at USB's actual limit, where as MANY flash drives are still not capable of writing at even half of USB's top speed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my housemate has a patriot Xporter, and it gets 25-28MB/s write speeds.
    You're quoting kingston figures for a patriot drive.

These large flash drives are just the first gen SSD's with stutter bugs, thats why you see variants with E-sata ports built in. they're worthless IMO, until they come with E-sata and USB3.0 on the same drive.

10. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Can definitely agree there.

Crunching for Team TPU