1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patriot Viper Any good ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AsRock, Mar 7, 2008.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  2. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know, I've never heard anything bad about Patriot, but on the other hand, I noticed there's no reviews for it. I usually take no reviews as a bad sign.....(for whatever that's worth)

Although upon further review of the specs, that looks like nice ram for bucks. Maybe try 2 gigs out and see if ya like it.....

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i like patriots.. they are cheap and perform well and are usually equipped with micron d9's.
    and my patriots have run faithfully and survived 2.44v for a long time!

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. Like to get a idea why the lower cloked is higher priced though ?.. maybe there not using D9 chips ?..

5. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:

If you can't get the Transcend get the Patriot Vipers.:toast:

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    They just got new stock for the Transcend but only one set available :(.. so i guess it's the Patriots need to sleep on it 1st lol.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well this morning i knew what i was going to do lol.. what was interesting was i noticed that my shopping cart cookie was still there with the transand ram there so i made it 2 sets and it worked. so b4 ordering i asked egg though there chat program and they actually have 4 well 2 in stock now lol.

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Last review of Patriot I saw was very very favorable. Patriot is recommended by Custom PC (PC mag in England) and PCStats :D

9. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    what about compatibility?

patriot claims tested and compatible with p35 and 680i.

I bought the vipers and they were blazing fast, but would not reach 1200mhz on my rampage.

stupidly, i exchanged them for crucial tracers 8500's which turned out to be the one sided mem kits without the d9's so i'm gonna return those and get my vipers back.

Anyone using the vipers and a x38 or x48 chipset?

10. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a set of Vipers 1000mhz (2x2GB), in hopes that they would clock well. I couldn't get them stable past 940, despite voltage and sub timing tweaks. They were returned after 3 days.

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i had 2 sets 2x2GIG would just go over there 1200 rated speed. Decided to have 1 set of AxeRam and a set of G.Skill as i tried 8GB of G.Skill and worked really nice and it don't get stuck on the det ram issue any were near what it did with the Patriot.

When i e-mailed and asked Patriot if they would be compatible they said yes. But when i asked about running 2 kits they never replied.

G.Skill have responded the most and the best i can think they could. And were willing enough to tell me if they were using D9's or not( which they don't ).

G.Skill support seems to be well up there. Even if it's bad news there telling you. The G.Skills are not D9 chips but they work dam good for me.

12. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope the vipers are d9's. i know the regular extreme series 9600's are d9's, but the cooling on those kits arent' very good.

I returned my vipers since i couldn't get them at 1200mhz, not knowing if they were d9's or not.

I then went crucial ballistix tracers 8500s but all their newer revisions are knock off one sided chips and they are not d9's, where as the first releases were all d9's and double sided, and clocked to 1200mhz without a sweat.

My rampage board QVL's d9's. i must get d9's....must know if the vipers are d9's!!!

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Viper heatsinks are real stuck on there lol... I was going to get some crucial ballistix tracers but the manufacture told me not to even bother as they been taken of the supported list by there engineers. Highest they recommended was PC5300 if i remember right which don't even have HS's on them.

I have a feeling they would of been ok even more so now seeing you using them but i have had enough messing around with ram and returns and just don't know what's happening here as our landlord is selling the house and having a hard time finding somw ere else :|.

14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Then if you can't get either of those look into Firestix or Geil black dragons.

15. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    I returned my falsified tracers for another pair of vipers. the 2nd pair seems to be oc'ing better, still trying to hit rated 1200mhz tho.

I sent an email to patriot, asking if the viper 9600's use micron d9's.
    I know the original 9600 (none vipers) use d9's, but they are more expensive, and the cooling is rather bad.

Just waiting for a reply now :rockout:

but i as well am sick and tired of swapping and returning RAMS. I'm on a rampage, and i would have never thought that this board would be so picky with ram.

16. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    The Vipers are NOT D9's. They are Elpida. I'm sure of this.

17. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    What model of elpida?

18. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the model number, but I've confirmed this, with a VERY reliable source. I can tell you that Buffalo Firestix ARE still using D9's.

19. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    so what's your input on the elpida's? good? bad? volts? timings?

info plz.

20. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    newer patriot extremes use elpidia chips(older patriot extremes have d9s) and patriot vipers are d9's. my friend just got the 2x2 (way better then 4x1 btw) viper ddr2 800s and i think we got them to go to 1066 at 1.9v with them running cool. have to yet to test their full potential but i definently recommend em.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220299 way cheaper and better.
    as for the designed for 680i/780i.. i find that bs.. work on g33's (which is the matx version of p33[lower version of p35])

22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you could get the patriot extremes they use D9s and are very cheap i have a set :D

i would crank them up and see how high i could go but this chip doesn't like high bus speeds for some reason i probably have some dumb setting this mobo doesn't like. ill get back on the max of these

23. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
  24. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    The newer high binned elpida chips are actually quite good. That's why several manufacturers that used to put D9 chips in their sticks are using elpida. They are cheaper, and more available in higher quantities. You'd be suprised to see how mnany high end sticks are using elpida.

25. slugzkea New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am very happy to know that my viper fins use micron d9's, since they are rampage QVL.

Now i just gotta wait for ASUS to release newer bos's to fix memory issues :rockout: