1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC boots half way and than turns off...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Braveheart, Jan 27, 2009.

1. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    It's a fresh install of Vista OS? I took first post to mean hardware installation went smooth. The posts afterward are pretty unclear as to whether or not its a fresh OS.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Does it shutdown at the same time everytime, or does it vary? If it varies, I would call it a hardware problem. If it shutsdown at exactly the same time, a software problem.
  3. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why do people think its an OS issue, or the OS installation?

The computer is randomly restarting ... This is a hardware issue, doesnt matter if its a Fresh loaded OS.
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    He's never said its a fresh installation of the OS. It's been assumed. The first post says install went smooth. Not OS install or hardware install. The third post specifically asks if the OS is fresh and he didn't reply directly to it. The reason people think OS is the problem because:

Until he clears that up it could still be an OS issue.

Edit: Background info. Having just recently switched everything but my HDD I had start up issues where my computer would either BSOD or shut down exactly as he's stating, in mid OS load. If you change your chipset, or make too many changes to the hardware there can be some serious OS load issues, which manifest as shutdowns or BSODs during OS load.

I don't want to assume too much, but I'd say its not a fresh OS install. He's already said he can't reinstall Vista, which means he couldn't have installed it new on this rig in the first place due again to the no PS/2 keyboard. Unless he wiped it and had it completely empty when he first put in the Vista disc, it would have always defaulted to the HDD to boot meaning it would have the issues. Again, we need to wait for his input before we go much further.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  5. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    it hasn't been turned on before, its not going to heat.
  6. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not a fresh vista install, i just hooked up my old sata 250GB...im going to get a new hard drive, PS/2 keyboard today and see if i can boot from my new vista CD. if that doesn't help I'll start swapping parts out and trying new parts at fry's...just one at a time until i find the faulty part and than RMA it.
  7. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uh... did you originally install Vista on that same Machine on that HDD?
  8. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    wait your running your OS from a previous build??
  9. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, on the same hard drive.

not on the same machine...i had this hard drive in my first system and install vista on that.
  10. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im not saying that it doesnt work but, when you change out major hardware you should always load a fresh OS. That way all your drivers are good. Format and reinstall your OS.

"slaps forehead"
  11. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats what i've been thinking, i wish i hadn't been dizzy when i was taking my old rig apart :banghead:
  12. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let us know once you have it up and running again
  13. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    i still don't know how to reformat my hard drive....
  14. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay once you get your ps2 keyboard go into your bios and set your boot device priority to boot from your CD drive first. load the disk save your bios setting then when your prompted by your machine to "hit enter to boot from cd/dvd" hit enter or any key. once that happens its pretty straight foreward. Once you get to the option were it shows your partions or your drive select it and format to begin your install.
    Braveheart says thanks.
  15. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok cool, thanks.
  16. at0msk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram

It IS ur RAM

RAM
    RAM
    RAM
    RAM :D
    YAY!!!

just remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds and then pop it back in. Try booting up. If it still doesn't work take a stick out. :D YAY!!!! If Vista loads with 3GBs in grab all of the updates and shut down. Pop in the fourth stick. :D

RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM (not an issue with it per say, just Vista can't use 4GB without an update)
    RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM

RAM

*If you did stick the HDD in the system with the OS already loaded then yes, you will need to format and reinstall the OS. Heck, a repair of the isntallation may work.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  17. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Do you have another power supply to replace it with? I'd give it a shot. Try running the PC without the video card with both power supplies if you can.
  18. at0msk New Member

Thanks Received:
    RAM
  19. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Calm down, it might be the PSU. That is my best guess. The ram would not be making it stop halfway though if install went through ok.
  20. at0msk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, YAY.
  21. at0msk New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh, it can...it's possible but it sounds like he left the OS intact and reworked the hardware, which is bad
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering the O/S was installed using different hardware, it's a hardware/driver conflict. Since the computer boots fine up untill Windows is actually loading, it's probablly the install of Windows, isn't it? Get your keyboard working, put the Windows CD in the disk drive, set it to boot from the CD drive and reinstall. This is what happens when you don't pull the drivers from an install on a previous rig. If you have files/data on that drive that you need, you will have to hook it up to another computer to retrieve them.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  23. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Having experience in ram failure, alot to be not really exact:

Best example I have is:

My friend was not able to get through an XP install all the way. We did memtest, stick of ram was bad. Took it out and worked like a charm.

Moral of the story: It would be pretty tricky for an OS to install with bad ram, as that would corrupt files, halting the install.

Though one scenario I did not think of, maybe the OS install is corrupted, but never stopped, so therefore the install is corrupt.

EDIT: Erocker is 100% correct. If you install an OS with for instance, an AMD system and then use the installed OS with an Intel system, it will not boot.
  24. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds right to me, thanks. oh and i accepted your friend request :)

i would like to have the stuff i had on there...i might have to do that.

go away, your not helping.
  25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just realized that if you just got a new HDD, install Windows on that, update all the drivers and all that jazz, then hook up the old HDD and you can get your files back. Or the other way, whatever works. :toast: