• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC enthusiast - How to use the Unreal Engine

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
Hi. I usually find on the internet many ways to "REDUCE GRAPHICS" fidelity (in the .ini files of a specific game for a specific game engine) In order to INCREASE performance at the cost of graphics fidelity.

But I am a PC enthusiast and I like to do JUST the opposite: MAXIMIZE Graphics quality at the cost of performance since performance is NEVER an issue with a setup like mine (or almost never)

I'd like to know if someone knows WHERE I could find a detailed explanation of HOW to tweak the "UNREAL engine" .ini files (or console).

I need to know what are the minimum and maximum values for different settings as well as what these settings change.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
From what I know every game on unreal engine is different not all ini tweaks work on all games.

It best to look up the available tweaks for each game.

The INI's are similar with UE games. You can usually tweak certain things that do raise quality, but they often result in game crashing or weird anomalies.

I usually got UE games to increase dynamic shadow rendering distance, texture loading and different methods of rendering shadows and lights. Or even enabling extra shadows like self-shadowing. Which is sometimes funny like in Killing Floor 2 where you can enable self shadow (seeing your own shadow casted into the world, but it's only for your hands and weapon, without the body XD). So it looks like only hands and weapon are floating around, based on shadows :D