• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC freezes, and won't boot back to windows immediately.

jon1984

Hi there
Recently my computer has been experiencing some problems. Firstly, the pc just freezes up from time to time and can happen once a day or 3-4 times a day regardless of how much I have used the pc. When it freezes I get no sound and lose all control. No error message is displayed before the freeze. The PC then has to be restarted manually. This is where things get worse. Following a freeze, the computer will then not boot up to windows for different periods of time.
Usually when I start my PC, the psu and fans go to full speed for 2-3 seconds and then quiet downs as the PC starts to boot into windows, however this time they start up but stay loud as though the pc is under load and nothing happens. Like it is stuck in a loop. I get no picture/info on the screen what so ever and no posts from the PC. However there is power getting through as everything seems to light up and fans turn and I can hear the hard drive over the fans and PSU.
The only way I can get the PC to start back up and get passed this is by continually turning it on and off until eventually it boots up like normal. This can take anywhere between 3-4 tries of switching it on and off to over an hour of trying. Needless to say this is a little frustrating and probably not too safe.
I have tried leaving the computer off for long periods of times after a freeze to see if it will start first time but no such luck.
When I turn the power on, I get lights on the keyboard and mouse, the fans on the tower start up and so do the CD drives along with the PSU and the GPU card, but nothing is recognized on the monitor.
I made no changes to the PC that I can recall (software or hardware) recently and the freezes started out of the blue along with the boot problem. Also, the freezes seem to occur no matter whether the pc is under load or just idle with nothing running. The computer works fine with no other problems until the freeze occurs which has further confused me.
I went inside, made sure nothing was shorting out and all the cables were firmly connected. I couldn’t see any visible problems but it is hard to tell what is not working since as I said, the pc does eventually start back up of its own accord.
As far as I can see, it isn’t a heat issue. The PC is run in a horribly cold room, all fans are working and once it has started back up, the fan control I have registers everything as normal right up to the freeze.
Could this be a power supply issue even though it starts up? Maybe not enough volts or something. I don’t have the equipment to test voltages and would have to go out and buy it.
Any help you would be able to offer on this matter would be gratefully appreciated.
PC:
Abit SG95 Mobo
2 gig (2x 1 gig sticks) Geil Ram
Hyper 580w type R PSU
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 550 3.4GHz
Artic freezing 7.0 heat sinq
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
ATi Raedon X1800 XT 256Mb GPU
Sweex Lan pci card 10/100 mbps
Windows XP

Any other info you may need, please ask and I will provide what I can.

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Weren't the Hyper PSUs crap?
Check your mainboard for blown caps. (Capacitors)
Also, Check your RAM, I had that issue during my Overclocking runs, my RAM just wasn't stable enough for 2-3-2-5 @ 1T (DDR-440Mhz) @ 2.8V (farthest I can push it w/o voiding warranty) even though it passed Memtest86 (24 hour pass).
So those might be the issue.
LMK when those have been completed. ;-)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hiper PSU's are crap. it could be that.

turning it off and on until it boots DEFINATELY implies the PSU, as it means it cant get enough power to turn it on, by cycling it you're letting all the capacitors fill before trying again.