1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

pc freezes on start up or when coming back from hibernate

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Geoffie, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Geoffie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I built myself a new pc,

only problem I have is when starting up or especially when resuming from hybernation, it freezes often but not always.

To be more specific: after a while when not using the pc it goes into hybernate, the fans stop spinning, everything seems to fall out and just the standby red led flashes on my tower. So far ok I think. When I push the mouse button to wake the pc (or as I said when I start up this also happens occasionally) , you hear the fans restarting, and it freezes, no image on the screen, nothing, the fans keep blowing and the red led light on the motherboard next to the memory modules remain on.
    So I thought it had something to do with the memory, as when I start my pc the motherboard has several red led lights that come on during the "start up sequence'. The very first red led light that comes on is the one next to the memory modules, it goes out and than the next red led light next to the pci devices comes on, ... But when it freezes it doesn't go further than the memory as the light remains on there.

But I did a memtest and that reported no errors. So anyone has a clue what it could be? Could it still have something to do with the memory, or does it freezes there just because the memory happens to be the first part of the start up. Or is it more likely the motherboard (hardware failure or bios setting)? Need help...

Here are some speqs:
    Asus Sabertooth X79
    Intel i7-3930k c2
    Corsair Vengeance Quad Channel DDR3 4 x 4 gb 1866Mhz
    EVGA gtx680 4GB
    Samsung 840 pro 256gb for start up
    Sata 500gb for data
    Corsair H100i cpu cooler
    Cooler Master Haf X case
    Windows 7 Ultimate

2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Do you have an "S3 repost" mines s3 video repost option in the bios of your mobo, it causes a video repost on wake , might be that.

3. Geoffie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't find such option in my BIOS, maybe I overlooked it as there are sooooo many options. Could you be more specific where exactly I could find it? Or can it have another name for it?

4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I had a look through the manual and that option isnt on your mobo sorry , my bad , out of your options I couldn't find anything similar id try ehci handoff option enabled and not ,sorry if not much help

5. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    A great way to figure out of this is a hardware related issue, or some BIOS setting, is to test with a Linux Live CD (such as Ubuntu). If you get the same issues, you do indeed have a hardware problem. Helps narrow things down a little!

6. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    The LEDs on Asus boards are supposed to stop and remain lit at the component which is causing the problem. I would try pushing the MemOK button the next time it freezes on startup. That will reset the memory timings until it boots (it may reboot several times while it tries settings). Other things to try are running it with 1 or 2 sticks, moving to different slots, etc. Sometimes just re-seating the modules clears up the problem (even though they were already all the way seated).
    Also worth trying is clearing the CMOS by shutting down, unplug the power cord, and move the CLR CMOS jumper to the right for 20 seconds, then move it back to the original position, and plug it up and boot it (NEVER apply power to the board with jumper in the "clear" position!). Then just run it a while on default BIOS settings and see if the problem persists.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  7. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    EUP-enabled
    ERP-disabled

8. Geoffie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi sorry for my late reaction, I had to figure out a lot

and I'm continuing my thread in another section as it might have something to do with memory and overclocking rather than power saving settins

thank you, and for those interested you can follow this issue here

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183233