• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC freezing when playing pc games.. can someone please HELP?

Sunaj-Janus

When gaming, at random times my computer will just freeze, forcing me to reset or power down my computer. I built this computer with the intention of doing some medium to high end gaming. I have went through forum after forum ( including this one) and still have not gotten an answer. I've almost tried everything. I've tried, Replacing the motherboard with a brand new one, same brand make and model (Ruling out motherboard), cleaning and repasting my gpu on my graphics card, Tried playing a game using only the integrated graphics of my processor ( ruling out GPU), tried lowering graphics settings, I only have a mouse, KB and xbox 360 controller connected to the usb ports.. scanned for malware/ viruses, none found, ran memtest86 overnight, no errors found in ram ( ruling out ram).. happens on windows 7 and 8. I have 40 GB free hard drive space, Tried switching to spinning drive after the thought of an SSD problem, nope, Nothing is overclocked, Yes I have updated drivers, yes I've tried different driver versions, windows 7 and 8 with and without service packs, updated directX, you name it. The only thing I can think of is there is either something wrong with my ram ( no errors found though), processor, or PSU. I tried using a EVGA 500w ( or 550w cant remember) PSU after someone at the computer store said it would be enough, the freezing still happened though. Looking into the event viewer, All I get is Kernel-Power event 41. Nothing peculiar leading up to the freezing. I desperately want to finish my Metal Gear Solid 5 Campaign and the freezing is even more unbearable even though the game works PERFECT on 1080p , High settings. Freezing occurs even with everything set to low, on the lowest resolution. smh.. Another weird thing is USB 3.0 devices dont register as 3.0 devices but rather 2.0. My motherboard has 4 usb 3.0 ports and over the past 2 weeks i've connected 3 usb 3 devices and they only ran at 2.0 speeds as indicated by the flashing light on the external hard drives i've tried to transfer data to ( indicated as a grayish-white flashing light when usually blue if usb 3 is working normally).. EMULATOR(Dolphin, PCSX2) games seem to run fine, which sort of makes me wonder if these pc games are simply drawing too much power from a seemingly incapable PSU

Here are my specs.

Core i5 4570T 2.90GHZ
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Firepower OCZ 800w modular PSU
AMD Radeon HD 7900 3GB
Gigabyte H97M-HD3 Motherboard.
(2)Hitachi 240 Gb hard drives

Please help. Im out of ideas.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Im not gonna lie.

Im not reading all that till you learn to use punctuation.

Welcome to the forums and please enjoy your stay!

Sunaj-Janus

the time you took to reply, you could have read.. dont be a dick man, not cool at all, such a useless response.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
System Name "the strong silent type"
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX D3 8GB 1866-899 RipjawsX K2 GSK
Video Card(s) XFX 6950 1GB dualfan
Storage Crucial M4 128GB / Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) LG W2253V
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
I assume you have checked temperatures on both gpu and cpu when playing metal gear solid? Is it only metal gear solid 5 or also at least one other game?

Sunaj-Janus

I assume you have checked temperatures on both gpu and cpu when playing metal gear solid? Is it only metal gear solid 5 or also at least one other game?

Yes, I'm running HW monitor as well, and all temps seem to be within normal operating range. the highest my graphics card will rise to is 65c.... processor maybe 48c. Also, this seems to happen with any other pc game .. GTV especially, and a recently purchased game, wolfenstein the new order.. Overall, the more modern the game, the more frequent the freezes are. I can play emulator games with little to no crashing...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
kernel power 41

motherboard
power supply

sometimes

drivers

replace your PSU problem solved. and turn off your auto OC if enabled on your board, if you are inexperienced.

EVGA 500w ( or 550w cant remember) PSU after someone at the computer store said it would be enough,

You are thinking too linear. This is your first build right? Just because the "wattage" is "enough" doesnt mean the PSU you received is good out of the box. I'm honestly surprised you took the time to replace the board but that same train of thought did not process when it came to the PSU.

Processor 8700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Maximus X Hero
Cooling Ekwb Performance P360 kit +PE 240 Rad
Memory Corsair LPX 16 GB 3000 DDR4
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 (EKWB waterblocked)
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512 Samsung 960 Evo 500 NVMe M-2, WD 1TB black
Display(s) Dell AW3418DW 34.1" (3440X1440) 120Hz G-Sync X2
Case Fractal Design R6 TG (Gunmetal)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can also be caused by having fast startup on in windows 8.1 and windows 10 (no idea if this is available with windows 7).

Not saying this is what is causing the issue, but if you are still on windows 8.1 it's easy to disable and test.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Im not gonna lie.

Im not reading all that till you learn to use punctuation.

Welcome to the forums and please enjoy your stay!

Where do you get "being a dick" out of this, especially the last sentence? He was merely giving you sound advice that will likely help get more responses, as many tend to avoid wall of text posts that lack proper structure and are thus a pain to read.

I'd have responded with some suggestions myself even WITH the poorly typed first post, but after your having responded this way, I don't feel inclined to. Not exactly a good first impression on what is one of the more civil tech forums on the net.

System Name Joel's Rig
Processor Intel i7-6700K (4 Cores, 4GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5
Cooling 3x 140mm Case Fans, Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury (DDR4, 2x 8GB, 2133MHz) 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 290X (8GB VRAM)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 3TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung U28E590D (28-Inch, 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD (Integrated)
Power Supply Corsair RM750i (750W)
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you checked to see the CPU heatsink fan is working? It sounds like an overheating problem to me. But then again you did say you've check the temps on HW.
If it's not overheating, my guess is that it's a low-quality or faulty PSU.

@FreedomEclipse had a point; if you structure your sentences more, you'll increase your likelihood of receiving help :)

Last edited:

Sunaj-Janus

for those interested who may be having a similar issue, the issue was the RAM not the PSU. thought i mentioned that already even though mem test reported no errors and OK ram. Pcs been running strong. I actually did try to replace the psu, I did in fact, TWICE.

I do want to thank those who took the time to read some if not all of my post and responded. Especially since english is not my first language :).

had I typed this on a computer, the post would have included indentations and proper punctuation, but I dictated the entire first post with my phone using its speech to text function.

Last edited:

Sunaj-Janus

Where do you get "being a dick" out of this, especially the last sentence? He was merely giving you sound advice that will likely help get more responses, as many tend to avoid wall of text posts that lack proper structure and are thus a pain to read.

I'd have responded with some suggestions myself even WITH the poorly typed first post, but after your having responded this way, I don't feel inclined to. Not exactly a good first impression on what is one of the more civil tech forums on the net.

There's a difference between being a dick and suggesting something. The way his post was worded was more patronizing than helpful. He could have said something along the lines of " Please structure your post a little better if possible for those who don't like to read as much as some other users"... not ".... until you LEARN some punctuation" as if there's a deficient in my intelligence. that equates to good communication skills, especially to a new member such as my self.

It really isn't that hard to take 30 seconds to a minute or two reading and evaluating / responding to a post unless you've got ADD- Especially since users and power users are likely to be browsing the forums in their spare time/ out of boredom. Everything in between 'reading and understanding' what is read are mere pointless technicalities when the question is " You do clearly understand my post, so why be a dick about it?" I suppose you should not be a dick as well in your response.

Last edited:
System Name Joel's Rig
Processor Intel i7-6700K (4 Cores, 4GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5
Cooling 3x 140mm Case Fans, Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury (DDR4, 2x 8GB, 2133MHz) 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 290X (8GB VRAM)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 3TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung U28E590D (28-Inch, 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD (Integrated)
Power Supply Corsair RM750i (750W)
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
for those interested who may be having a similar issue, the issue was the RAM
What was up with the RAM? Not seated properly? Just a faulty product?