1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC games on TV(bigger size) or on Monitors(higher reso)?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zanat0s, May 23, 2011.

1. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I use 2 Monitors(DELL 30 2008 version) 30 inches at 2500x1600. The Desktop resolution is great
    and i can do a lot of things and also watch movies at one of them.

I am thinking of changing one to a 3d enabled TV around 37 inches and play games/watch movies

what do you think? what is more important? resolution of ULTRA HD(2500x1600) or pure size(1900x1080)?

Have any of you tried PC games on a TV monitor? i tried on my 2007 samsung 46 inches and it was terrible(the colors)

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hooked up my rig to my 55" LCD. Looked nice. It looks better on my 30" monitor, though.
    I guess it depends on how close (or far) you want to sit away from the screen.

3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I tried using a Viewsonic 37' for about 1 month once. I got headaches. I sat about 1 metre away.

Have you thought about Eyefinity?

4. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have 2 monitors and i have to say eyefinity is not enjoyable( since the bezel is a big headache)

my PC/monitor is around 80 cm from my offie.

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    At less than 3 feet, the 30" monitor is going to look a lot better for gaming.

6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Have you actually tried Eyefinity? I don't notice the bezel at all. It's just like any other monitor set-up. You mostly stare at the middle of the screen.

To each his/her own...:p

Edit: I mean with 3 monitors not 2

7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I used my 52in LCD 1080P 120Hz tv as a monitor when i would have my friend over and we would play BC2 all night! it worked perfect when your about 5-8 feet away from it and the colors were very crisp.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I used a 37" 720p for quiet a while and I loved it.

9. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The only good answer is that it depends upon your viewing habits. I use a 42" 1080p tv from about 4-5' away. The resolution is great for gaming, but reading is a bit wonky. On the same token, I preferred higher res smaller screens whenever reading or rendering (solidworks, cad, etc....).

If you're gaming in the living room go with the tv. If you're 2' away in an office chair go for the resolution.

10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Size, my beamer only does 720p.

11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I am about 8-10 feet away from my LED TV 40" ... image quality obviously is better than my Samsung LCD monitor 23". Only problem is the text can be hard to read and it is harder to micro manage because of this, so definitely not the right choice for playing RTS... but I am currently loving it for FPS, 3rd Person games whether it be an RPG or shooting genre.

12. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Have a look at a Philips 42PFL7432D 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Ambilight if you are into gaming and or films it is great, I sit 4 feet away from this and have had no problems; that said on AMD you have to adjust the underscan when changing drivers, but responce rate of this panel is v-fast 0.01ms & text is very crisp

Pros

It has all the usual bells and whistles, including 3 HDMI connections, 2 component video, composite connections and a host of other standard AV connections. It is 1080p native, (accepts 24HZ and 60HZ signals) and includes 6 wide screen modes, an Automatic mode which will fill the screen fully as content changes. The remote control is backlit and features a really nice user interface for the on screen software adjustments, Regular software updates are made available that can be downloaded to a USB flash drive and installed in the TV. Ceck out the AVS Forums. Picture enhancements include Perfect Pixel HD engine, Active Control +(motion adaptation), Dynamic Contrast, Color Intensity, Digital Natural Motion, Jagged Line Suppression and white point adjustments. You can select from 3 preset picture modes; or create a custom one. The audio section includes a graphic EQ, auto loudness control, a unique Delta Volume control which allows for seperate loudness adjustments for each channel and equipment input, and Virtual Dolby Surround. Sound is good but run it through an audio system for the best resaults. Blacks are black and whites are very white.

http://shop.philips.com/store/rpeeub...ntry_Selector/

Cons

slight colour banding if not used at native resolution
    Cost £1700.00

nb: if you can stretch your budget look into plasma

atb

Law-II

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  13. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i gues it is a no go

my pc is on an office.

and unless the game requires a gamepad the games on the TV ar enot an option(no place for mouse and keypad

14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I used to use a 37" 1080p LCD and it worked awesome. I sat at my desk with this LCD 2 feet from my face.

The only reason I removed and went back to a smaller screen was the heat coming off my 37" LCD was crazy. I couldn't handle it. Now I game on a 27" screen and though I miss the bigger beautiful picture of the 37" I'm happy to not have a baked face.

15. zanat0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ whitenoise,

i am thinking of getting a 37 and have it around 2 feet. that would be a good compromise.

16. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    My living room is 24in monitor on the cofee table, 52in tv on the wall. It is the ultimate setup for the living room imo. Tv is great for video, fps. Monitor is great for web, strategy games, work.

17. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    @Law-II

Not sure where you have been looking, but Plasma TV's are actually cheaper than LED TV's by a hefty amount, and in most cases on par for regular LCD's (in terms of price). I almost bought a 40' Plasma last year but opted for a 32' 120hz LCD instead since it was on-sale and amounted to about half the price of said Plasma :/

18. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    32" TV here at 80 cm or so, and it is very good. You have to adjust some settings to make text look good.
    I found that the 'movie' setting on this Philips is good for both work and games. I will not go back to anything smaller (and not back to a smaller desktop table either...)

19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I tried using my 32" lcd TV inplace of my current monitor. Picture was good, but only being approx 2' from the screen, I was having to move my head to track everything on screen. Didn't like that, made it harder to notice something moving on oposite side of the screen because I was actually turned away from that side of the screen.

Also, I once had a 42" rear projection screen that I would place a foldable coffee table touching the front of it and would mount my steering wheel controller to for NFS game. HOT DAMN I HAD A WINDSHIELD!!!! That was a good set up for that particular game.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    If its a good 37" 1080P LCD then the picture will look beautiful from 2 feet away. Mine did.

21. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    a plasma will look better if you can afford it:)

22. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Really you had that issue with the 32"? I had it minorly with my 37" that I sat about 2 ft away from. I got a 27" now and love it, but I always felt a 32" would be the perfect size.

23. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    For shooters monitor and for Racing/Sports I like TV better.

24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Plasma do have a wonderful picture but they still can suffer burn in. Sure most of them have anti burn in technology but they can still get it.

For home theater...plasma for sure. For PC duties...LCD is the way to go.

25. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think racing games would look great on both screens! (tv and monitor)

not too sure about shooting though lol as it has really fast movements