1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Games: Retail, Steam or GFWL not MP compatible?

Discussion in 'Games' started by EastCoasthandle, Oct 12, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is being reported that PC game purchased through retail, Steam or GFWL are not MP compatible.

Read more here
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    good luck getting two competitors to work together on something that only benefits the consumer
  3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Uh, what?

I wasn't aware it did something like that... I would like to see some sort of proof.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I see.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's probably because of the anti-cheat bits, especially in Games for Windows Live. What Microsoft is probably trying to do is make Steam distributed GfWL so the games work but obviously Valve isn't going to like that idea.

I can't see many Steam games not working on GfWL because the games that use Valve Anti-cheat are often Valve titles that would never become available on GfWL.

Retail games that use GfWL work with GfWL. Retail games that use Steam work with Steam. Retail only falls victim to the same faults as Steam vs GfWL.
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Avarice: they all want to completely sew things up, no middle ground, and the customer suffers. I blame Microsoft, mostly because it feels good.
  7. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I am sure it is an isolated bug with Gearbox, that they are trying to make a big deal out of, as both GTA IV and Dawn of War II are steam and windows live games and they work great for multiplayer.

I used my steam chat to send my friends the windows live ID so he can add me to his friends list, and we can play MP without issues.

Also, one of my friends has the purchased copy of dawn of war II and it works perfectly fine either way.

so, basically, someone somewhere is full of sh*t.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
  8. yami2ki

yami2ki

Thanks Received:
    Um, I can play with retail G4WL users with my Steam purchased games and vise-versa no problem... (i.e. Bioshock 2, my friend bought his copy through Steam and I bought mine retail and we can play together through G4WL)
  9. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    im pretty sure the steam version of bioshock 2 also uses g4wl....
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I play GTA 4 EP though steam and chat with people on steam as well on GFWL without any issue's. but hey that's just one game..
  11. yami2ki

yami2ki

Thanks Received:
    it does use g4wl...

I think I'm confused... unless they're saying you can't play the Steam version of games that have thier own servers for multiplayer, like Civ 5, Dawn of War II, etc etc
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It says Gearbox but it doesn't say what game is causing the problems. Borderlands? Duke Nukem Forever? Aliens?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's very clear in the article... NEW games will not work. Old games work right now, but maybe they will stop working in a near future. :shadedshu
  14. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    No it doesnt say that with any backup... i thought that too but look at how they quoted the guy.

"We want people to be able to play together and right now if a guy buys a game on Games for Windows and a guy buys a game on Steam - they can't play together," and he continues "If another guy bought it in a retail store, he can't play with the first two guys."

I don't know of one game for which this is true. He didnt say, "in the future all new games won't work and old ones might stop" thats some Sh*t the author of the article came up with.

Here is another view on HIS statements: HERE

but in all the quotes of this guy online, not one source says anything about games in the future.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like some ones blowing gas unless they can read in to the future(Vrandas). The one who made this article needs a kick in the nads for not saying what he is basing this on.

Maybe it is just Gearbox and shame on Gearbox as it seems no other company is having any issue's.
  16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like this Gearbox marketing guy was just skirting the question with rambling.

Even if he were right, what would Valve or Microsoft do? The only thing they could do is create an open framework for multiplayer networking which could prove a complete disaster once the hacks surface.
    Crunching for Team TPU