1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC games you are looking forward to (4th quarter 2010 edition)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Easy Rhino, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    It feels like I have been in video game limbo for the past 6 months. Nothing interests me. More games seem to be released with lots of singleplayer and multiplayer bugs. All of the hyped up games in the past year seem to be lame console ports. And to top it all off the complete lack of creativity by video game developers is at an all time low. They keep releasing the same old games with a different name using the same old engine as before.

With that said, there has to be some hope on the horizon for this coming holiday season. What say you? What are you looking foward too?
  2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    nothing im all set i just got f1 2010 and im enjoying the bugs errr wait i mean fun game when working. :)
  3. WarhammerTX

WarhammerTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well know new game engines that I know of but Im kinda looking towards Bf3 and maybe COD Black Ops
  4. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    this is a good example of the lack of creativity. both franchises have made millions and millions of dollars. the developers keep cranking them out because we gamers keep buying them. we need to raise the bar!
    WarhammerTX says thanks.
  5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I want Brink and fallout new vegas.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. yami2ki

yami2ki

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking forward to New Vegas. There isn't many PC games coming out that I want this quarter...
    blu3flannel says thanks.
  7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    waiting for the witcher 2, at least this is a pc exclusive, not some kinda mish mashed console game. I was looking forward to crysis 2, but after seeing some gameplay previews, it seems it won't be as sexy as the first one was, might get it when its cheap. Oh and I just saw that there's gonna be a another total war expansion. That'' ll keep me occupied more than a 6 hour single player game *cough* black *cough* ooops, I spilled some.

like you see, i don't really have high hopes for this year.
    TRIPTEX_CAN and AsRock say thanks.
  8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i want Shogun total war already but its a long long ways off but 56k soldiers on screen at once is gonna be sexy
  9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i'm a bit dissapointed it wont be rome2:tw but still. Jeez that means I'm gonna have to go read a few books on battle tactics of that era, since I haven't played the first shogun! :laugh:
  10. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    um its simple anything that worked in other total war games still works lol

u have offensive infantry defensive musket men and bowmen + cavalry its like all total war games but even more simple
    assaulter_99 says thanks.
  11. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    Same, New Vegas all the way. Maybe Civ V if I can scrape some cash together.
  12. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Re assuring, but still I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'll still go and do some reading. Like to have an idea of what units to aim for since the very beginning and not lose time building stuff I don't really need! :toast:
  13. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    meh all total war games have retarded AI to be honest usually spearmen + archers = win no matter what lol against other players tho thats something else entirely
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Yup same. Civ V isn't as good as I was hoping, all games that have came out suck tbh. I might go play TF2 or something that is an example of a good game.
  15. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree with this. New games hit the PC at a rate of 1000/sec and although the pattern of mainstream games dictates cookie cutting, there are plenty of original titles that leak through the cracks or just go unnoticed.

I think you're just getting old and becoming bored/pessimistic about the same shit different day world of popular gaming. That's what happened to me a few years ago. After 15 years of gaming I've become far less excited about new releases and far more excited about quality and polish.

I like games that can support a community (usually meaning moddable), have lots of action/strategy and balance (no giving the best equipment to veteran players) and provide novelty. Consequently I hate MW2 and I'm not particularly fond of RPGs but I reserve judgment.

There are a lot of free/cheap indie games that hit the PC platform more than any other platform. I don't mind loosening my "good game" criteria when I'm only paying $0-$10 for a game. It should be said that simulations, which thrive on the PC, are getting more and more realistic. I don't even mind console ports provided they're done properly and respectfully.

The only big-budget games being released in the (somewhat) near future that potentially meet my idea of a good game are Brink, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Torchlight 2 and probably some stuff that I haven't heard of yet...
  16. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Gotta agree with that but anyways, what game do we have that gives us so much to do, you can get 100+ hours out of that game, more so, if you play with other factions etc. I usually put in on v/h so that makes it a lil more challenging, but I nearly always end up winning. Still , sometimes I get spanked by the ai, which makes it cool cause I like a lil challenge.

I think you've got a point with the getting old stuff! :laugh: I myself used to be excited by heavy hitters, fast paced shooters et al but now I'm more into strategies, rpg's etc. I think the devs are also targeting the new generation of gamers more. Just look at the games that sell loads, cod etc. These games are mostly filled with kids. I'm not saying that they are only played by kids but you get the point.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  17. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    It's been a while since BF1942 and since then we have had BF:Nam, BF:2142, BF2, BFBC1/2. BFBC1/2 was an attempt at innovation whereas BF:2142 was a total copout. BF:Nam was a 64-player shooter with vehicles and fricken jungles!! That had never been done before. When BF1942 came out I bought a computer just to play it. My friends and I have been talking about a remake of BF1942 for years. It desperately needs 128 player maps with aircraft carriers, destroyers, subs, more guns/weapons and a graphical overhaul. Sure it's a little tried and true, but there really isn't anything quite like the Battlefield games. The command and control system in BF2 was amazing when it came out (and it still amazes me today).

CoD:Black Ops is by a different dev than MW2 and they're focusing on realism, supporting modding and creating a community. I'd wait on making a final judgment on this one.
  18. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Need For speed and Fallout
  19. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    it sucks I WANT to look forward to a game on pc but there isnt anything out that even strikes my interest other than bioshock cause Im a huge bioshock fan...oooooooooo probably F.E.A.R. 3 dont care how bad its gonna be I wanna play it!....portal 2 also just cause co-op looks cool...ish but not sure that comes out this year

crysis 2!
  20. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i know i am getting old. too old for video games really. i want one game to come out that will capture my interest for longer than 1 month. only then will i be willing to shell out $50-$60 to play it. sure there are a lot of small budget pc games out there, but none of them can provide an epic sense of adventure and interest. and trust me, ive played most of those free linux games :laugh:

edit: funny how every game people are looking forward to is a sequel except brink.
  21. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Shogun 2
    Football manager 2011
    mmm thats really about it unfortunately.. Any other good strategy games coming out? Im tired of these crap shooters
  22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Pretty disappointing, yeah. I just updated my list and virtually all the games moved to a 2011 release:

Code:
    10/19/2010	Fallout New Vegas
    10/26/2010	Fable III
    11/16/2010	Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    1/15/2011	Test Drive Unlimited 2
    1/25/2011	Brink
    2/1/2011	Darkspore
    3/1/2011	True Crime: Hong Kong
    3/8/2011	Dragon Age 2
    3/15/2011	The Sims: Medieval
    3/22/2011	Crysis 2

RAGE wouldn't be a sequal but I excluded it from the list because the release date is unknown. But yeah, few great new titles are coming out. Publishers are huge into sticking to what they know works. They clearly aren't very big into experimenting.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to save like crazy here. I'll be spending a lot within the next few months. I'll be having a blast though with my upcoming 5850 GPU. ;D

- F.E.A.R. 3
    - GoldenEye 007
    - James Bond 007: Blood Stone
    - Civilization V
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops
    - World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  24. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried minecraft?
  25. zithe

zithe