• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Headphone Advice

Processor I7 6700K @4.6GHz
Cooling Liquid
Memory 16GB DDR4
Display(s) 27" LCD 2K 144Hz
Audio Device(s) G6
Software W10 Pro 64BIT
I need some advice on buying a headset for PC (not expensive), for use mainly gaming, and then also for music and movies, regardless of my personal tastes:

1. what is the most suitable among AKG K511 and K44?

2. between one of the two previous ones and these? (Sennheiser HD418 - Denon AH-P372 - Audio-Technica ATH-SJ11)

3. in general, is it better an audio headset than the previous ones or a gaming headset? (so, one of the previous or Creative Fatal1ty)

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI Mortar Max
Cooling Phantek PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x8GB Corsair 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080 G1
Storage Many SSDs
Display(s) iiyama 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Fractal Define
Audio Device(s) Ath-m50x + Modmic + AV 5.1 Setup
Power Supply Corsair AX760i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10
Generally gaming headsets are designed for FPS gaming, so they are very low on bass so that you can hear directional footsteps very well. This means they are pretty poor for watching movies and listening to music. Headsets either use virtual surround (just one driver in each side) or a number of smaller drivers in each side for surround. Virtual surround works better IMHO as you have better quality larger drivers and they are lighter. I'm not a fan of any surround sound settings, to me stereo is just as effective for hearing footstep locations.

Using a good set of headphones with an additional mic tends to be much nicer for varied use, although not quite as good for competitive gaming. Open back headphones have a wider sound stage, but they leak more sound and don't noise cancel so well. Closed back headphones are the opposite, better noise cancellation and less noise leakage but less wider sounding soundstage.

I personally use Audio Technic ATH-50x (£110) with a ModMic V4 (£40) which works very well. These are closed back music headphones. The budget version of this would be the ATH-30x (£62) with a Zalman clip on mic (£7). If you can stretch to that budget that is a very good start into the world of good quality sound.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Don't buy the creative fatal1ty, they're one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've used, cheap and tacky.
I've always been a fan of open back headsets for the better audio. Unless you're living next door to an airstrip, I've not found many cases where I've needed specific noise cancellation to drown out background noise, when game/music audio already does the job. Not sure what your budget is, but I lean towards the Sennheiser gear for a mixture of gaming and musical audio decency, though the headsets I go for are usually quite pricey.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Generally gaming headsets are designed for FPS gaming, so they are very low on bass so that you can hear directional footsteps very well. This means they are pretty poor for watching movies and listening to music. Headsets either use virtual surround (just one driver in each side) or a number of smaller drivers in each side for surround. Virtual surround works better IMHO as you have better quality larger drivers and they are lighter. I'm not a fan of any surround sound settings, to me stereo is just as effective for hearing footstep locations.

Using a good set of headphones with an additional mic tends to be much nicer for varied use, although not quite as good for competitive gaming. Open back headphones have a wider sound stage, but they leak more sound and don't noise cancel so well. Closed back headphones are the opposite, better noise cancellation and less noise leakage but less wider sounding soundstage.

thanks for that info, i didnt know that. :toast:

Processor I7 6700K @4.6GHz
Cooling Liquid
Memory 16GB DDR4
Display(s) 27" LCD 2K 144Hz
Audio Device(s) G6
Software W10 Pro 64BIT
not expensive like 30 euro (the price of models in my first post)
no need noise reduction or isolation
i have a decent sound card