• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Industry Stares Faces Years Long Recession: Analyst

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
nnnaaaahhhhh,,,,,,

As soon as the pc market is about to breathe its last, Apple will release a revolutionary large and non mobile device called an ibox. It will achieve sales beyond your imagination. Every home will have an ibox i tell you.... everyone....

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
If I built this desktop of mine from scratch now, I had also been choosing for a form factor of mATX or less. Times are changing. The desktop won't die (there will be a time during which saving on the battery will be an important economic factor) but they will get smaller. A lot smaller.
Yay for technological convergence?
We need something like this back again...

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Long Live the Gaming Desktop :toast:

Well, yeah, I am starting to think that I am not gonna build my next home PC in 1 or 2 years. I feel like I am just going to buy a semi-powerful 17inch laptop to replace it and just rely on consoles for gaming. I already have a pretty good gaming laptop and it's actually adequate enough.

I like the lines of thinking about smart TVs becoming more popular. I think you still have to have an OS behind the TV with a usable web browser. In that regard Google with Chrome and the Google TV Android based OS is in the lead, although I guess any company can make their own WebKit browser.

M$ was poised to be lead a while back with smart TVs with built-in Media Center Extenders from Acer and HP, but they gave up and pulled out of the market. I think MS had plans with like a Windows 7 Embedded powered TV platform. This was referred as codename Pika. I think they were going to go with the Media Center ecosystem which had their own apps system. They didn't have a ton of apps and MS didn't really take charge, but now with Metro they're coming out and taking charge of this new alternative app system. And now they're putting IE 10 on the Xbox, so that's their new play.

Technology has to be powerful but with some level of simplicity. I think there is still a market for a high-quality powerful PC, and if your Dells and HPs aren't willing to sell a tower PC at retail with a good GPU, good memory, and an SSD, people can look to other companies on the Internet. And also in that regard buying a PC at retail may become unfashionable, or something like what your parents might do since they don't appreciate a good PC. My argument is that as younger people in general become more tech savvy, more people will appreciate actually spending for good PCs. They'll value paying for good gear that does things better. I think also as technologically literate people get older and busy with family life, they may skip the effort to figure out what parts to buy and how to build the latest socket 3000 PC, and just buy a good custom built PC from someplace online.

I'm pleased that I have a dual-core smartphone with Android 4.0, but I find myself tending not to look up stuff on my phone because I get such a better experience with more capability going to the site on my PC. With a browser like Firefox or Chrome I can bookmark something with my phone and then later visit the site on my PC. I think like netbooks, tablets are a lot of hype, and they just aren't as good.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Well, yeah, I am starting to think that I am not gonna build my next home PC in 1 or 2 years. I feel like I am just going to buy a semi-powerful 17inch laptop to replace it and just rely on consoles for gaming. I already have a pretty good gaming laptop and it's actually adequate enough.
If you dont care bout graphics than you dont need a PC for gaming, but if you do care then build yourself a PC for gaming. Laptops may mimic desktops, they will never have ability to replace because desktops can be upgraded over and over again for years to come.
I think like netbooks, tablets are a lot of hype, and they just aren't as good.
The only thing I like about tablets is the convenience and speed I have to check internet and e-mail. Much faster than powering up my desktop, but that is about it. Desktops are supreme imo.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
For a market that's supposed to be going the way of the dinosaur, sure is a lot of new products coming out lately, if it's so grim, why am i seeing more products in online stores than ever before??

Weve been hearing this for years, not happeninig, i'm sure some corporations wish it was, but, nah, anyone who needs to do real work, needs a lappy or desktop.

Wait till less tech savvy folks realise tablets are a hamstrung experience.

If you dont care bout graphics than you dont need a PC for gaming, but if you do care then build yourself a PC for gaming. Laptops may mimic desktops, they will never have ability to replace because desktops can be upgraded over and over again for years to come.

It's more like I don't have a choice. Most of games I see for PC are FPS lately. I want RPGs.