• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Key Power Switch

System Name Computer
Processor i5-3570K Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB, 77W, HD4000, Boxed w/fan
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43, Socket-1155, ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16
Cooling 1 Front fan, 1 Back fan
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, 915MHz
Storage Crucial M500 SSD 2.5" 120GB, WD Desktop Blue 1TB
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower
Audio Device(s) Basic
Power Supply Silver Power SP-S650 650W PSU
Software MS COA Label Windows Home Premium 7
Benchmark Scores 7.5, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 7.8
Hey! I'm how do I make a PC key power switch? This is the keylock I'm going to use: http://www.biltema.com/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Bilelektrisk/Strombryter/Tenningslas-43076/
It has:
  • Universal threepositioning ignitionlock. Has following functions: off, ignition and start (rebounding/momentary).
  • Delivers with 2 keys.
  • Screw-connection.
  • Mountinghole: 25 mm.
So I want it to be exactly like this:
You turn it on like a normal car. You twist the key to a certain point, and it springs back. Like in the video
The normal power button should not be involved. You just turn the key to start and stop. And I was wondering, in this situation the way I want this, it is possible to take the key out without turning the power off and do you turn it off by twisting it in the same direction again?

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
A normal power switch for a pc is a NO momentary switch, meaning that it does NOT conduct power, except when it is pressed.

So find out winch two terminals on that car switch that is closed (conduct power) when in the "start" position and use them to connect to the ports that the power switch goes to

This will make twisting the key to "Start" the same as pressing the power button on that PC, if that turns your computer off then yes, twisting the key from "iginition" to "start" will turn it off.

Since its a car ignition lock, i would be surprised if the key is removable in any other setting than "off", then again, buy two and try to mod one of them to release the key when not in "off"?

For finding what two contacts corresponds to the "start" position you could use a multimeter, if you don not have that then a flashlight bulb, some wires and the appropriate number off batteries for the bulb should suffice.

Last edited:
System Name Computer
Processor i5-3570K Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB, 77W, HD4000, Boxed w/fan
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, 915MHz
Audio Device(s) Basic
A normal power switch for a pc is a NO momentary switch, meaning that it does NOT conduct power, except when it is pressed.

So find out winch two terminals on that car switch that is closed (conduct power) when in the "start" position and use them to connect to the ports that the power switch goes to

This will make twisting the key to "Start" the same as pressing the power button on that PC, if that turns your computer off then yes, twisting the key from "iginition" to "start" will turn it off.

Since its a car ignition lock, i would be surprised if the key is removable in any other setting than "off", then again, buy two and try to mod one of them to release the key when not in "off"?

For finding what two contacts corresponds to the "start" position you could use a multimeter, if you don not have that then a flashlight bulb, some wires and the appropriate number off batteries for the bulb should suffice.

Men når den skal være på samme måte som en bil, da må det være en vei for å gjøre sånn at etter du har sluppet nøkkelen og den har gått tilbake, at strømmen er på i pc'en. Fordi når du ikke vrir helt til venstre, men bare slipper den etter at du har vridd nøkkelen helt til høyre, så skrur du ikke av bryteren(Kanskje. Hvis ikke det er en krets inni pc'en som "holder på strømmen"). Men vet ikke hvor og hvordan jeg skal koble ledningen(e) så trenger hjelp med det. Hva kan muligens gå galt hvis jeg kobler feil? Jeg kan jo egentlig bare bruke avslutt knappen i Windows for å sikre en riktig avslutning.

English:
But when it should be the same as a car, then there must be a way to do so that after you have released the key and it has gone back, the power is on. Because when you do not turn completely to the left, but only release it after you have twisted the key completely to the right, the switch will not turn off(Maybe. If there isn't a circuit inside the pc which keeps the power on). But I don't know where and how to connect the wire(s) so need help with it. What could possibly go wrong if I connect wrong? But I can really only use the power off button in Windows to ensure a proper shutdown.

Last edited:
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
På og reset- knappen til en vanlig pc er kun lukket når de er trykket inn, for at den tenningslåsen skal funke må du finne de to kontaktene som er kortsluttet når tenningslåsen er i "start" posisjon, den som den spretter tilbake fra.

Pcen holder seg selv gående etter at den er startet.
Hvis du kobler feil vill den enten ikke starte i det hele tatt (de to kontaktene som du har koblet til blir ikke kortsluttet)
Eller den vil starte og så slås seg av (kontaktene du har brukt er de som blir slått på når nøkkelen er i "på" stilling, den som den sprette tilbake til når du starter bilen)

Hvilket hovedkort skal det kobles til?

Har du kjøpt den bryteren enna? følgte det med et datablad?

google translate for the ones not speaking English:
On and reset button to a regular PC is only closed when they are pressed, that the ignition lock to work must find the two connectors that are shorted when the ignition switch is in the "start" position, whoever it bounces back from. Pc keeps itself going after it started. If you connect the wrong wild either not start at all (the two contacts that you have connected to are not shorted) Or it will start and then turned off (contacts you have used are the ones being turned on when the key is in the "on" position, the one that the bounce back to when you start your car) Which motherboard should be connected? Have you purchased the switch yet? followed it with a data sheet? (did you get a data sheet/instructions?)

System Name Computer
Audio Device(s) Basic
På og reset- knappen til en vanlig pc er kun lukket når de er trykket inn, for at den tenningslåsen skal funke må du finne de to kontaktene som er kortsluttet når tenningslåsen er i "start" posisjon, den som den spretter tilbake fra.

Pcen holder seg selv gående etter at den er startet.
Hvis du kobler feil vill den enten ikke starte i det hele tatt (de to kontaktene som du har koblet til blir ikke kortsluttet)
Eller den vil starte og så slås seg av (kontaktene du har brukt er de som blir slått på når nøkkelen er i "på" stilling, den som den sprette tilbake til når du starter bilen)

Hvilket hovedkort skal det kobles til?

Har du kjøpt den bryteren enna? følgte det med et datablad?

google translate for the ones not speaking English:
On and reset button to a regular PC is only closed when they are pressed, that the ignition lock to work must find the two connectors that are shorted when the ignition switch is in the "start" position, whoever it bounces back from. Pc keeps itself going after it started. If you connect the wrong wild either not start at all (the two contacts that you have connected to are not shorted) Or it will start and then turned off (contacts you have used are the ones being turned on when the key is in the "on" position, the one that the bounce back to when you start your car) Which motherboard should be connected? Have you purchased the switch yet? followed it with a data sheet? (did you get a data sheet/instructions?)

Dette skal kobles til et MSI Z77A-G43, Socket-1155 ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI hovedkort.
Tror ikke det har et datablad siden jeg skal kjøpe det på biltema, men kan jo godt hende at det har noe form for instruks.
Hva mener du når du sier at tenningslåsen skal kortslutte?

English: This is going to be connected to the MSI Z77A-G43, Socket 1155 ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3 + 1xG2-PCIe x16, CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI motherboard.
I do not think it has a data sheet since I'll buy it at a Biltema (a shop in Norway), but it may be that it has some form of instruction.
What do you mean when you say that the ignition switch will short circuit/short out?

Last edited:
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Når en bryter lukkes kortslutter den de to kontaktpunktene den ellers bryter. For å slå på pcen må pin 6 og 8 på JFP1 kortsluttes (sjekk bruksanvisningen til hovedkortet). det er det på knappen skal gjøre

When a switch is closed shorting the two contact points it otherwise breaks. To turn on the pc must pin 6 and 8 on JFP1 shorted (check manual for the motherboard). that is what the on button should do