1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC racing wheels?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LoneReaction, Sep 21, 2009.

1. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    I been itching to get one for quite a few years now.. racing games just don't feel real with a controller.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking of the Logitech Driving force GT, Momo and Xbox 360 Logitech DriveFX. Which is better? Is it compatible with a wide range of games? It would suck to buy a wheel and have 1/2 the games not supporting it! :laugh:

2. Assassin48

Thanks Received:
    logitech G25

If I were to buy one it would be that one

LoneReaction says thanks.
  3. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    When I saw the pricetag for that my jaw dropped..

4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I have a momo, I like it except the cheezy shift.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Assassin48

Thanks Received:
    I hear the quality is pretty good for what you pay for

It looks realistice with the clutch pedal and shifter knob

6. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The G25 has recently been discontinued by retailers and etailers. Trust me i found this out the hard way. Ive wanted this wheel for years and never could muster up the cash. I go down to Frys and they have them on sale for 199 and they didnt have any but the demo in stock and wont be getting anymore. Go to Logitech website and found out G27 is about to be released. Go to Ebay you can find them cheaper.

7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Alternative: Logitec Driving Force Pro. I have that wheel, grip is good, you get a gear lever, the pedals are nice and the force feedback is intense. Plus its cheap.

8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GP8448/?tag=tec06d-20

Actually quiet a few other retailers have them for sale online yet, but thats the cheapest I could find. Not too much more than that $199 though, so not bad.

9. Whilhelm

Whilhelm

Thanks Received:
    G25, you will not regret spending the extra money. If you look around hard enough you will find a deal on one. As has been said the G27 is on the way which is pretty much the same but with more buttons. When the new one is officially available the G25 will be cheaper, if it can be found. The Driving force pro is a good alternative, but the G25s addition of a clutch pedal, gated shifter, lots of metal and leather make all the difference.

10. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, thanks guys. I'll be watching for G27 to be available in my country (Asia/singapore). Think of getting a stand like WheelStandPro too!

11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Logitech G25 is still available in Europe, about EUR 150

Logitech G27 is now available in Europe, about EUR 350

WTF?! That G27 is way overpriced. It might be the best there is on the market, but you can buy a (used) car for that!

12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You'll buy a used car for the wheel, shift and pedals? :p

13. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    G25 is a great wheel. Gotta love the turning circle. I have owned a Momo aswell but it cannot be compared to a G25.

14. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Logitech Formula Force GP that is about 10 years old and still supported with drivers (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/formulaforcegp/). Logitech Formula Force EX is pretty much the same with a facelift on the wheel, without seams and more buttons. Same pedals.

Those wheel that you listed, only one is PC wheel :p Anyhow, you can't go wrong with Logitech.

Also think if you really want 900 degree turning. This old thing is 270 degrees and I wouldn't want more. I like the F1 style turning ratio, gets hot enough already without having to spin wheel around even more :)

For cheap end, go with Logitech Force something, more quality there is Momo and for high end G25.

Cheaper it is, more plasticy it also feels, but it isn't taking away from the force effects. Only complaints on this wheel is the clamping system. It doesn't really work as is, you need to mod something sticky on the bottom of it and for thin desks you need a piece of wood (with something sticky) under it.

edit: oh yeah, the pedals on this weigh almost nothing, so they don't work on floor, as they will slide away. If that is a problem, don't get Logitech Formula Force EX or similar that has exact same pedals. I have a wall after my desk, so the pedals can't slide any further. With momo you get better quality pedals with a lot more weight in them and G25 is surely the same.

Oh and my wheel has plastic gears inside too and still working great, I've heard people break many momo:s in less time. Sure that tells more about my driving style, than build quality, but take that into consideration too.

If you like your forces very strong and you make hasty correction with the wheel it's bound to break sometime. In that case I'd op for more expensive wheel. If you set the force level so that you can drive couple hours straight and your hand movement is chilled racing then cheaper will do too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    not good for top speed but it'll surely beat the neighbors rascal.

[​IMG]

16. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Im using the gran turismo one; Logitech Driving force gt. logitech offers pc drivers for it. It doesnt have the H shifter clutch but costs $100+ less than the G25. Ive used my bros a bit, and the steering is fairly similar. Its great on the dfgt. But pedals are better on the G25.

My bro gets pedal sliding on his G25. Just put a textbook behind it

Kei says thanks.
  17. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a G25 about 3 weeks ago, bloody brilliant bit of kit. Dunno what region the OP is but I got mine from dabs.com for £130, but its already down to £120. Worth the spend IMO, even if you don't use all 900 degrees of rotation its nice to have the option. As for the G27, way overpriced (like the G25 when it was the top dog). And don't forget that the G27 has done away with the sequential shift option, the gearchange is now H pattern only.

BTW, I use the pedals on carpet and the grip strip works really well, they don't move at all. Same goes for the wheel and gear clamps, I fixed them once and they haven't moved a milimetre, even with some really forceful opposite lock steering!

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If any get the mobo one at least. i've had a few of the lower ones (4) like the Nascar one's and i've broken them all by normal use.

They USED to have a steel shaft but not any more there just molded plastic so you cannot fix them as many times now. Gear levers and the wheel it self fails on me as there so cheat assed made.

It's what stoped me playing racing games as it was just stupid to fund there crap.

19. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know there are some places that still have the G25 in stock, but once they're gone they're gone. I just hope i can snag one before they are all taken away. For ultimate racing simulation G25 is the way to go.