1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC starts by pressing any key!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aksh_47, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Aksh_47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay guys ive got a weird prob, my PC starts if i press ANY key on the keyboard!
    I observed this started happening after i recently installed windows 8 PRO.. and yes, i do shut it down and not put it to sleep. Everything else works fine, ive got no other prob at all with Win 8. And yes, it doesn't start with mouse clicks.

Its quite irritating at times, when im study or doin some other thing on my desk and i accidentally hit a key, and there, it starts up!

Although its good that i dont have to reach to the power button everything, i dont like this, any solution to fix it?
  2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    There is a setting on the BIOS that lets you turn on your PC with a press of a key.

Similar to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-beginners,1126-8.html

wait.. you don't have a main switch on the PC? like an Automatic Voltage Regulator??? If you don't want to turn it on accidently just shut down the main switches or unplug the main cord
    stinger608 says thanks.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a BIOS feature, as has been stated.
  4. Aksh_47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i could switch off the main power, but the wi-fi router is connected to my PC and so the my family members at home cannot use the net if i switch it off. Anyway thankx for the replies guys, got the solution :toast:
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well how does the wifi router work after you have selected "shut down"? if your pc is sharing your internet connection then it should have to be on at all times for the connection to work.

if it's solved it's solved... i'm just curious.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    he was saying they share power. so if he shuts the wall socket off, the router loses power too.
    digibucc says thanks.