1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC stops.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aceman.au, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Ive been getting a weird freezeing issue.

Sometimes on a cold morning or randomly browsing files on my OS when I start my PC my, It loads up Windows 7 desktop and icons but then stops and I have to hold my shutdown button in and hard reset my PC. When it freezes my harddrive activity light instantly stop flashing. Im pretty sure its my B2 motherboard and the affected Hard Drive chipset, but Im posting to confirm it. Will changing to one of the "unaffected" Sata ports fix this? Or is it something else?
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Try it and see. You won't need to reinstall Windows. Unless it's corrupted because of it.
    Aceman.au says thanks.
  3. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try running in Safe Mode? Run some diagnosis (chkdsk /f) or Virus Scanner (just in case) and try to pinpoint the problem. Go to Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center and see what problem`s are being stated.

As for your motherboard, are your SATA cables plugged in tight enough and not cut or ripped? Did you try swaping your hard drive to a different SATA port? Also, is the Hard Drive(s) in any kind of Raid?
    Aceman.au says thanks.
  4. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Yeah no corruption as far as I can see, hopefully the sata port swap fixes it for me.
  5. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Only 1 HDD, so no raid. Action Center isn't reporting anything. The sata cables are fine. Will swap ports when I get home.
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    System restore might help. It has a very good chance of helping anyway imo.
    Take out all USB connections that aren't necessary. "ESPECIALLY" charger cables for phones etc.
    They have a tendency to cause hanging issues. gl ^^
    Aceman.au says thanks.