1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC suddenly turning off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ProPlayer, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I've had this problem for a few days... Well, my pc just seldolmly turns off and restarts, with no blue screen or anything else, so it's difficult to isolate the problem... It works just fine, but yeah, random restarts while you're gaming are annoying... Yeah I set everything back to default to see if it was my overclock, but clearly it isn't, I even did a clear CMOS. I think it's a psu problem, since it's quite old (more than 2 years, a coolermaster real power m1000)... Please help me :)

2. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
  3. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    nah, it's not that, there are no crash reports at all... The pc just turns off suddenly with no blue screen nor anything else, it just restarts point blank :(

4. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    what games you are playing and the pc restart?

5. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked your event log?

Also, any changes occur the days before this happened?

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like either PSU or overheating most likely if it's not a BSOD. I would check event viewer, and do a stress test with a temperature monitoring program for your CPU.

7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    We can assume that a driver failure in the vast majority of cases produce a blue screen.

a PSU error could shut down immediately.

I'm with DD on this one.

Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  8. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    +1 i ask about what game you playing why with phatasy star online 2 for windows 7 users time ago the pc restart at random and its possible with others game too so look the event viewer.

9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    It could still be a BSOD. Sometimes, BSOD's only flash on the screen for a millisecond before a restart (although more often than not, these variety occur during boot from my experience). Again, first check event viewer, then do a stress test using Intel Burn Test (max RAM), and RealTemp to monitor your temps (keep an eye on distance to TJmax).

10. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    I'm no expert but heres my 2 pence worth.....

Have you checked the RAM? Could be a dodgy stick. My other thought would be an overheating PSU.

:toast:

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    start from easy thing, check your temp is that pretty hot or normal
    since it random, what kind of program that you run when it suddenly restart?
    how old your psu, it could start from that
    try to test your system too

12. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a grounding issue. Get an electrical screw driver (the ones with an LED inside) touch it against a metal (unpainted) part of your case and see.

13. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    hey

that PSU should be able to deliver 720W on the 12V rails at full load with full load on the 3, 5 and USB rails.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...ster_real_power_pro_m1000_1000w_modular_psu/4

Your pc might be drawing an amount very close to what that PSU is capable of. If your also drawing power from the 3, 5, and USB rails. Remembering the PSU is only capable of 1KW total draw, and the other rails can have an effect on the total apparent power drawn. (USB hard drives, Lots of HDD's/CD drives ect) I was also unable to find any benchmarks regarding the rated 960W 12v as posted on the PSU sticker, since all torture tests I found were ran with full load on all rails.

Overclocked and running on water and with a high draw GFX card you may just be on the border line for that psu's total 12V delivery. I think the CPU alone will be 300-400W's and the Gtx 580 will be about 350Ws. Combined that's up to 750W and over your PSU rating.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/11/09/nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-review/8

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/11/14/intel-sandy-bridge-e-review/10

I was going to suggest running at stock speeds but you have already attempted this. It may be worth finding someone else with a high power draw system locally and testing your PSU in that rig. Or picking up a retail PSU from a large PC supermarket type store with a money back guarantee. Open the box very carefully, and don't fit the psu. Just have it run at the side for a day or 2 and see if the problem goes away. Then take it back claiming it was a gift from a relative and it doesn't fit in your pc. Then get a good deal off the net if you know that is 100% the problem.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be Windows saving you the anguish of a BSOD.

From Control Panel > System and Security > System, click Advanced system settings, then on System Properties dialog box Advanced tab, click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery section. In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, uncheck Automatically restart.

15. profkefah New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry guys if I didn't answer but I had a minor surgery, now it's all ok :).
    Anyway, it happened both when gaming and when browsing. I have custom liquid cooling, I checked for leaks and temps and there's nothing, also I've used this psu with these components (check my profile) for almost a year... I've checked the ram, took it apart and put it back in.... Anyway it still hasn't happened since my first post.

17. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    The system I built for my cousin earlier this year i5-2500K, Asus P8Z77-V LX, 8GB Vengeance 1600) had the same problem - random reboots with no indication of why. It gradually got worse until it would hardly boot, and by then Windows was opening the memory diagnostic for me, so it was obviously a bad RAM stick. Removing it solved the problem, RMA'd it, and the new stick is still running fine. I also had this problem with my old P4 system, but only about once a week, so I assumed it was random power surges or brownouts. Never did find out for sure. Of course, if you have a UPS, power surges shouldn't affect the system (I don't have one). You could try stressing the system with S & M, it found a problem with my RAM overclock (by crashing at the start of the 2nd RAM test).

18. profkefah New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    there you are:
    [​IMG]
    thank you very much for your time

20. profkefah New Member

Thanks Received:
    the temperature of your motherboard is too high 74
    but temperature of other parts
    cpu.vga .hdd is very good
    so i advice you to do the follow
    clean your computer from dust by using blower
    how many fans your case has

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats the event viewer say.

22. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Laptop? What are you smoking? Read his post again :slap:

profkefah says thanks.
  23. profkefah New Member

Thanks Received:
    any one made mistakes
    :slap:

24. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    All my pc is clean and dust free, I have 5 intake fans (1 200mm, 4 120mm from the radiators) and 3 outtake fans (3x120 mm), the only high temperature there is the CPUTIN, and after googling it a bit it seems that it's hwmonitor's fault and one should only trust the core temperature

25. profkefah New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok man any software can be faulty

so try this
    when u see the temp of motherboard reach 70
    touch heat sink in motherboard
    so if one of sinks is hot
    the program is not faulty
    if every think is ok
    i will give another instruction