1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC turns on no screen! lights fans everthing but screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Feb 27, 2007.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so my dual core has a via chip (go to hell VIA!) and it would reboot my pc about every 5-10 min. So after it kept doing that i decided to transfer all the parts from the p4 to my newer case. So now all this pc does is turn on, blue lights on all fans, cpu fan comes on, graphics card fan comes on, All fans work.

Mobo soyo p4-I845-pe
    http://soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=241
    X800 xt pe w/ ac silencer 4
    P4 2.66 @ 3.00ghz
    Sound blaster live 5.1 digital
    Belkin fire wire
    wd 120gb
    maxtor 40gb
    sony dvd/cd drive
    Samsung dvd-r/rw|cd-r/rw driver

any help would be greatly appreciated!

btw i tried clearing cmos and bios! took out battery and used the jump and pin
    now i don't have a computer :cry:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    IS everything connected and working that you know of?

3. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    yeah! hdd is powered w/ ide cable going to mobo in slot ide
    cd drives powered in ide 2
    fan is connected (as it is turning) all fans are turning, psu is connected (as it will turn on) p4 cable is connected. also it was working yesterday afternoon before i moved it into the other case. Did i maybe short the mobo?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would try unconnecting every cable, removing ram, cards. Start over and ensure everything is in proper place and properly seated, take your time and double check. Make sure you unplug Molex power and rehook them also. Be sure to push ram/cards all the way into slots, firmly and evenly on both ends. Ram should 'click', cards should be even, not tilted. Reconnect kbd/mse/monitor and try booting.

5. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    check theres no extra risers in your case where they shouldnt be making contact with the motherboard where there shouldnt be one, ive had the same problem and this has been the cause on one occasion, as namslas said above, just start again, unplu everything, take your4 time and start again. normally helps me when i have a problem and now i just make sure i double check everything before i start.

6. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    hmm ok, i'll give it a try! btw, yesterday i took out the hdd's and i was messing with the jumpers and after that it wouldn't boot! i then put it back the way i had it before. before i did that it would boot and then say "verifying dmi pool" and then it would reboot,.....and repeat! everything was working yesterday so it's all good hardware! another thing it did, would come on and then shut off.....and repeat.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, those jumpers are hard to see, and easy to get wrong. Re-check them and try "cable select" on boot drive leaving 2nd drive out (if you have 2). You can always put it back in later if mobo works.

8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Cable select is good, but too bad you dont have SATA. Make sure you set them properly. Most HDD have their jumpers like this CS M S meaning left two pins are Cable Select, middle two pins are your master settings and the right two pins are your slave setting. Seems like if it turns everything on, then power is getting to it. Id hate to say your MOBO is shorted out for sure without you trying what Namlas said. Make sure everything is plugged in correct. All jumpers set (if any need to be) and that your MOBO Mounts/standoffs are placed according to your MOBO manufacturers instructions. That could short a mobo out or at least interrupt the signal getting through the trace leads.

9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    alrighty then, i will take everything out and rebuild it......again! i'll post back when i'm done!!! wish me luck!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    SCORE!!!!! your peeps are awesome!! but now it won't boot past the post, i'm pretty sure it's my hdd's configurations, so could you plz help me out again :)

sry for the fuzzy photshop is on my comp and i'm using my mom's!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

last three are of the wd and the first two are of the maxtor!

@ WarEagleAU, when i get me a job, i'm building a new system (dx10 crossfire He he he!!!) and i'm going sata!!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    use macros mode to take close up pictures....

[​IMG]

try doing cable select.

12. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Ok so i got my computer to boot into windoes, but now it says my 120gb hdd is corrupt and it won't see the second partition on the 40gb! i got partition magic so that should fix that! now the other thing is, i have 2 dvd/cd drives in my computer a sony and a samsung, but it won't find it in computer management or my computer, one is set as salve (sony) and one is set as master (samsung) both are using a dual ide cable and on ide channel 3 (120gb ide channel 1 40gb ide channel 2) how do i fix this? should i just take the jumper pin out of the samsung?

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Just make sure on your HDDs, that if it has a cable connected labeled as slave and master, that its connected to the right thing. Otherwise, set it to CS (Cable Select), which is good considering you have alot of HDDs. As far as the DVDs go, make sure they are getting adequate power. I dont recall you saying what your PSU was so....that also could be a problem.

Oh and good going. Im eventually going to go XFIRE and DX10, probably just next year :(

Oh and it will be either AM2 or AM2+ or AM3 :)

15. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok, thats fixed, now it's another problem!!! know you know why i hate my computer so much!!! ok, this time, it take a really really long time to boot, from the time it's turned on to the time it takes to log in is about 6 minutes, and only 15GB of stuff is on the hdd! my computer make me wanna :cry:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I say you just trade your PC, for your Dad's PC, and to hell with it.

You might to go into your BIOS and see if its doing anything at start up that it doesn't need to be doing. Also check to see what is starting up with your Windows load.

memtest for the memory, and diskcheck the HDD with windows.

17. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    lol, i pretty sure he would notice if i swaped computers with him. i have done mem test about a week ago, it's fine, and the hdd thing i will try!

Crunching for Team TPU