• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC upgrade mobo started smoking!

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Thats the computer case itself and the board is raised from that surface I think its just the way the light that I was shining was reflecting in the case casting shadows. Ive since figured out the culprit. Posting new pics and answer to problem shortly. Thankyou for taking such a close look at things!

After rotating the image, it did look more like it was below the MB than on top. Thanks for clarifying, interested in learning about the problem... so I don't do the same thing :p

soulvoid

I want to thank everyone that helped me in this situation and also whome of which investigated certain aspects and parts of this issue as I learned a few thing in the process and also it helped me to figure out what was going on! After everything happened yesterday I ran out and got a new mobo/cpu/ram and installed it in the case replacing the old. Got a fairly sweet deal actually, FX 6300 and a newer model am3 mobo with descent NB/SB and some DDR3 ram for $130 new(mobo was free in a bundle lol). Anyhow come to find out later that evening I continued with tinkering around with the old mobo and upgrade parts that I tired before and caused the motherboard to smoke again, hah. Im suprised this thing is still working! The problem was rather shocking and quite unexpected as I have NEVER seen anything like this before!! The video card is what was causing the mobo to smoke!! I did a step by step installation/test of parts on a test build of flame retardent material and first started with of course the PSU that was in question. It works fines and runs like a champ and had no issues there(mobo booted with only PSU attached initially. I then proceeded to add the video card back into the picture and as soon as the mobo booted it immediately began smoking again! I tested the setup after removing the video card and everything was fine! I then attempted the test with a different video card which also requires the 6 pin mole connector for additional power and the mobo booted and ran normally with the PSU. After discovering this I proceeded to add in each part one by one booting and shutting down the mobo to see if it could handle everything it was being fed. What I ended up with at the end of the process was a frankenstein like setup that I installed windows 7 on. What in the world could be wrong with this video card to cause the mobo to fry and smoke?!?!?!? Again the video card that is bad is a radeon brand HD 6870 power cooler. Loading pics of new pc setup and frankenstein and also the bad video card. Theres no obvious signs on the outside of the video card that would lead me to think it is bad but obviously it is, the fan never come on the unit.

Attachments

• desktopold2.jpg
    desktopold2.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 286
  • desktop new1.jpg
    desktop new1.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 292
  • bad1.jpg
    bad1.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 341
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
It's still entirely possible that it's the PSU... can't provide enough juice to the video card. Most motherboards have a failsafe detection if you forget to power the video card, the system will bark at you (I've done that before). But if you get some or not enough/correct power, it may think it's all ok when it's not.

I'd still ditch the PSU. The review showing poor rating scares me.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial