• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Video output issue - keyboard freeze - auto shutdown

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Hello

I leave sometimes the PC running overnight, and I set up a wakeup clock on kukuclock, there was about 20 tabs open on chrome and I was transferring some DVD data that already finished, it was nothing unusual.

The PC is relatively new, except the powersupply is like 8 years old but it was quite expensive that time and appears to work fine (even tho I wasn't supplied all the modular cables) until today.

This morning there was no signal from DVI, and tried HDMI also, no signal, couldn't get the display working.

I found the PC still kinda operating, the HDDs were active, some background stuff, but they keys didn't do anything so I couldn't shut it down normally, i tried all the hotykes via winbutton and via crtl+alt+del, and also I tried via network.

After like an hour I turned off the PC via power button. I left it about 30 minutes, I didn't unplug the PSU, after I came back I turned it on and I wasn't looking at the display so I'm not sure what if it displayed anything but the PC shutdown it self off automatically, (it's one of those "advanced bios setting" power cycles when it does a hard reset, it powers off and then power on by it self, this kind of reset usually happens on errors and when you change clocks on CPU or RAM etc, if you only change basic configs in BIOS it only does soft reset without powering down)

After that I turned it on once again and didn't want to risk more and I turned it off myself, but the POST beep did show up normally.

I've disconnected most of the stuff except SSD where my install is any it's kinda working now, temps are OK but I can't see the PSU temp

Since I couldn't shutdown normally, there might be some missing event viewer stuff, but it doesn't tell much.

The usual kernel-power critical event that the system has started without cleanly shutting off, kind of a bummer it's so lack of details, any way to enable some verbose setting for these unexpected shutdowns?

The first thing that shown up was the GPU fan stopping in the boot process, but I noticed that appears to be normal. Secondly one of the chasis fans that is a super cheapo sometimes hangs when turned on and will not sping unless power cycled and also it may stop working after a period of time until power cycled, I recalled that because I used one of those for cooling routers in the summer.

Now in HW Monitor one more FAN appeared that wasn't there a bit ago and it appears to be bugged and shows average about 10 thousand RPM with maximum of 64 Thousand.

The PSU Fan is connected to CHA_FAN2 but in HW Monitor is FAN0 and FAN1, SYS_FAN CPUFAN and AUXFAN

I'm not sure which is the PSU because FAN1 should be PSU which is bugged, but AUX FAN is nonexistant afair, unless it's in the CPU.

Also the PSU Fan is not powered via motherboard, the cable is only for reporting it's presence/status.

There is also currently some dust so I can't be sure wether or not PSU Fan is working but it does look like it is on first look. and if it is AUX, then it's working at 1200 RPM.

The other thing is that CPU voltage and freq appears to be jumping around, i may have enabled one of those turbo features, maybe I didn't notice it was the turbo feature doing this before, because it was enabled as default since the beginning, but there's no activity and it jumps by ~0.15 voltage and by 100 mhz.

EDIT: actually the speed seems to be jumping by 1500 MHZ, something might got reset in the CPU settings ...

EDIT2: Went further looking into the CPU issue, and it seems like C States option in CPU was responsible for erratic clock/voltage behavior in idle (not sure about heavy CPU usage situation), so now, without turbo, clocks and voltages are stable in CPU-Z.

It seems like an OS issue (Win7x64) because while C States was set to Auto, while I'm not sure if the BIOS shows realtime clock monitoring in Main, it doesn't show it in the Monitor, but it does show VCORE and it was stable at 1.228 - in the Windows it's stable at 1.248 (both vcore and clocks are very slightly higher than BIOS reports)

Unless this original problem happens again, I think it's a dead end, but if it comes back I'll have this thread ready!

Last edited: