• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't boot POST until i've tried turning it on several times

Sidescrollshot86

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3400 2.41 GHz
Motherboard Asus K8N
Cooling stock fan and heatsink
Memory 1.50 GB
Video Card(s) ATI All-In-Wonder 9800
Storage Maxtor 200 GB and Maxtor 160 GB
Display(s) Dell 21.1 flat panel
Case 19" rack mounted
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Orion 420 Watt
Software Windows Xp Home
Hey everyone, almost a week ago I started noticing that my computer will not boot at all the first time I turn it on. It does power up, but the mouse and keyboard get no power and the monitor doesn't display anything. I can hear the inner workings whirring about as usual, and no lights or audible error messages come from the motherboard other than the solid green light indicating power to the motherboard. After about four or five on-offs and waiting a bit each time, eventually it does boot up POST and windows. This happens whether I turn the machine completely off or put it in stand-by mode. It's annoying and pysically hard on my HDD drives to turn um on and off so much. For now, I am just leaving the machine on as much as I can to avoid the problem. Thanks for reading.

Namslas90

Welcome to TPU, How about some system specs so we can help you out?

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
You might want to test your PSU. I've seen this several times at my place of business.

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
I would definitely start with the psu....

Are you confident with pulling your pc apart??? If not then it would be better to take it somewhere to get fixed... Not blading you at all just inquiring.

Oh yeah and get those specs filled out.. if you go to you profile and you will see them there.. :)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Does your PC look like the Devil sent an army of dust men to spray dust all inside your computer?

If so, I suggest you get some compressed air and blow that dust all the way back to hell.

Namslas90

Does your PC look like the Devil sent an army of dust men to spray dust all inside your computer?

If so, I suggest you get some compressed air and blow that dust all the way back to hell.

LOL.....(actually laughed at that one)...:rockout:

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
I've had this EXACT problem with 2 old PC - the cause in both cases was leaking capacitors on the motherboard (around the CPU socket area)

How to check:

First locate the capacitors:

http://www.montek.com/tutorials/images/printed-value-capacitor-codes.jpg

They will look similar to this, maybe diff colour but will be like a small can.

Now examine the top:

http://www.asti-usa.com/support/appnotes/65/2.jpg

If they look like the above picture (either a brown or white substance leaking or if the top of the capacitor is bulging) the caps are useless.

You can buy replacement caps from maplin/RS etc and replace them yourself although this will take some soldering experience.

Sidescrollshot86

Motherboard Asus K8N
Memory 1.50 GB
Case 19" rack mounted
Audio Device(s) on board
Software Windows Xp Home
Thanks for the great suggestions so far! I have posted the specs on my profile, if anyone wants information more detailed i'll be glad to give it. I may have a spare power supply with sufficient power lying around so i will try swapping it. While it's open i'll check for the faulty capacitors as well. LOL, no my rig remains farily clean, it has dust filters on the front that I clean every other week, and I take care of the dust inside multiple times each year. Thanks again!

Sidescrollshot86

Motherboard Asus K8N
Memory 1.50 GB
Case 19" rack mounted
Audio Device(s) on board
Software Windows Xp Home
Well I have made a close check of all my capacitors, and they are all clean. For now though, my computer has decided to solve its own problem and appears to be cured. One thing I did change, although It had been working for months this way, was turn the virtual memory back on. I wish I could find out exactly what went wrong, so I could learn something, but as long as it works, I won't complain.:) If a week goes by and I don't run into the problems again, then I'll consider it fixed. If not, I found a spare power supply in my inventory that I can slap in there and see if that ends it.

PeterAlt

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. It has something to do with the motherboard/iMon combination. When I unplug the iMon USB connector, the machine boots with no problem. After Windows has started, I could connect the iMon USB back and iMon will work with no problem, but if the system ever needs to restart, you will need to temporarily unplug the iMon USB again again to boot Windows. I have built many machines with this Antec case and never had a problem with other boards (I'm using the Asus M1M Pro) booting. I haven't given up yet as I believe the solution is yet to be found. I updated the system bios and that didn't work. I'm planning on reformatting my drive to AHCI format to see if that does the trick. What motherboard are you using? What format is your hard drive set for (AHCI or IDE)?

Message is being bumped to see if a solution is found!

Help!!!!