1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by marand, Jun 6, 2010.

1. marand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello!

I made one topic (http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=123640) about random crashes during one certain game (no crashes on the other time or with other applications). After 3-4 windows reinstalls and not installing cataclysm drivers my pc didn't freeze anymore. Thought everything is okay.

Yesterday I was playing again and my PC suddenly shut down. When I pushed the power button, my fan started working at 100%, 3 of 4 graphics card red lights turned on and nothing more happened. No screen, no beeps, nothing. Tried several times, same issue. I tried my power supply on other comp (needs normally around 200 watts) and it worked fine. So I have ran out of ideas. Maybe someone knows how to test my pc hardware or have had similar issue?

My PC stats:
    CPU: E8400 @ 3,00GHz with TT TMG2
    RAM: 4GB A-Data EXTREME DDR2 1066+ @ 800Mhz 5-5-5-15 timings 2.0V
    MOBO: Asus P5K Pro - updated to latest bios (1303)
    Video: HD4870 512mb - 10.4 drivers
    Powersupply: Blue Storm II 500 W
    Cooling system: Thermaltake TMG2

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the lights on the card are one of two things.

1. overheating

2. lack of power

to be honest, you havent ruled out your PSU at all - testing it on another machine with less power hungry components just means the PSU works on a lower demand system.

my first idea would be to check your GPU's temps (ATI tool can be used here) at idle and load (run something 3D in a window, see if the temps rise drastically, say... past 80C)

If the temps dont skyrocket... your no-name PSU is to blame.
  3. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    the PSU is the problem, doesnt supply enough power to run all those hardware. see if you can get another better PSU and test it.

EDIT: seems that your temps are very high. check the if the CPU heatsink is seated properly
  4. marand New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i reinstalled my whole TT BigWater system so the temps being pretty okay now, max 40C idle, max 53-54 on 100% load. Forgot to add those parameters into previous post.
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    then its really the PSU
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Another vote for PSU although could be PSU issue though a overheating on which is failing.
    Although sounds like the PSU might of done it's damage ( hope not though ).

I know i would get rid of that PSU as i believe it was the cause of the issue your having now.
  7. marand New Member

Thanks Received:
    For sure I'll buy new and normal PSU for my PC, optimal would be 600W instead of my current 500W as PSU-s always being about 10% weaker than their actual marked watts. I did some calculations with http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and it shows its ~490W recommended PSU, atm im wondering how did my PSU work for so long ^^
  8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Corsair, Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, something along those lines. Try taking that PSU out and the GPU out and putting it in the other system and trying that. Looks like your CPU as well because the GPU lights didnt fully light up and pass its own test. Hopefully everything else works out fine. Good luck.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    is that cooling EVERYTHING on the video card, or just the GPU? cause if its not cooling ram/VRM's, the card will overheat.
  10. marvelous211

marvelous211 New Member

Thanks Received:
    memory issue is most likely culprit.