1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't boot

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Peteballaghaderreen, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Peteballaghaderreen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I built a PC and sold it, it worked fine for me, i rigourously tested it over the course of three days, and everything was fine. Then I sent it off, but the buyer emailed me to say he couldn't boot it, nothing shows on the monitor, and it gives one long beep and three short beeps What does this indicate? Thanks

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
    This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

try troubleshooting the video card, if not the card then the motherboard.

3. Peteballaghaderreen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible that the graphics card has been knocked out of place by a bump to the parcel during postage? It worked perfectly before I sent it off.

4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    could well be, a reseat could be all that is needed

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What motherboard brand is it? The beeps you describe point to video adapter problem as Whitelotus said.

Is the guy you sold it to computer savvy enough to reseat a video card?

You can always tell him to plug in the monitor cable to the onboard graphics and see if there is the same problem if it persists.

6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could also be the memory "knocked" out of place. After shipping, you should "re-inset" everything before first boot, and make a general check to ensure everything is in its proper place, check all cables also.