• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't power up

Areso

Turned my computer off in preparation for reformatting. Now it will not reboot. If I unplug the power chord from the power supply and then plug it back in I will, for a brief moment get a reaction out of the computer. I can tell it's trying to power up. Fans start spinning but then just stop. I now also notice a very high pitched whine when power is connected. Sorry for lengthy post. Any help is appreciated.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Try taking these steps:

Completely drain the computer of any power that may be lingering in capacitors and such. Unplug the PC from the wall, and hold the power button in for a few seconds. At this time, maybe try resetting the CMOS by changing the jumper position and/or pulling the CMOS battery for a short amount of time and holding the power button again for a few seconds.

Try reseating everything. Cords, plugs, components. There may be a loose connection somewhere.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I had a Pentium 4 system one time that for some reason wouldn't boot after... something (I forget what I did that caused it but it seemed to be reproducible). It would not boot until I reseated the IDE cables I think it was, for some odd reason...

Turned my computer off in preparation for reformatting. Now it will not reboot. If I unplug the power chord from the power supply and then plug it back in I will, for a brief moment get a reaction out of the computer. I can tell it's trying to power up. Fans start spinning but then just stop. I now also notice a very high pitched whine when power is connected. Sorry for lengthy post. Any help is appreciated.

First in a PS there is a Crow bar. This circuit is to shut the PS down if there is a over current situation. They whine when triggered, you hear is the switching circuit running in the lowest power mode causing one of the components to 'sing' .
So for a simple explanation.. Something is shorted or overloading one of the rails. ie the 3.3,5,12 volt lines. A hard drive or mother board are usual problems. Once and awhile a vid card. So unhook your hard drive and vid card.. if the computers tries to boot, ie on screen you get a no drive detected or you get beeps for no vid card AND the puter doesn't shut down then plug the vid in and reboot.. if it stays running then turn off and plug in the hard drive/s and reboot . if it doesn't you found your problem child

Areso

First in a PS there is a Crow bar. This circuit is to shut the PS down if there is a over current situation. They whine when triggered, you hear is the switching circuit running in the lowest power mode causing one of the components to 'sing' .
So for a simple explanation.. Something is shorted or overloading one of the rails. ie the 3.3,5,12 volt lines. A hard drive or mother board are usual problems. Once and awhile a vid card. So unhook your hard drive and vid card.. if the computers tries to boot, ie on screen you get a no drive detected or you get beeps for no vid card AND the puter doesn't shut down then plug the vid in and reboot.. if it stays running then turn off and plug in the hard drive/s and reboot . if it doesn't you found your problem child
So in regard to this if I do both of those steps and the problems persists you were implying that it's the power supply?

So in regard to this if I do both of those steps and the problems persists you were implying that it's the power supply?

No, most likely is something is dead outside of the PS.. Yes I have seen a PS short inside and do this kind of thing however it is USUALLY something else. last time for me it was the motherboard that died. The biggest cause i have seen is the HD then MB then VID then MEM then CD/DVD then other boards like audio or add in specialty boards. Thats why i suggest that you unhook vid and HD.. then try to see if the puter stays on. if it does even with beeps for vidio, then hook up video after you turn off the power to the puter, if it comes up and says it cant boot as hd is still unhooked then its prob not video. Hook up hd. if problem returns then its hd.. if it keeps shutting down with both vid and hd unhooked it prob is cpu/mother board related/mem related.

note make sure you dont have and external drive or other power hungry devices hooked to usb during testing.

Last edited: