1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pc wont start immediately when turned on

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by amocrass2, Feb 4, 2008.

1. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

Im really stomped w/ what's happening with my pc for the past 3 days. When I try to turn on the power for my pc in the morning, when i 1st press the start button, it immediately turns on for 2 seconds then turns off for 1 sec then starts turning on again, that's the time it will start to boot up normally. :banghead:

This kind of behavior I remember only does happens when my PC cannot handle an overclocked settings I set in the bios. But all is stable after i tested my PC with Prime95 for 8 hrs without any errors since last week.

My mobo has a Dual Bios feature, what it usually does is when I reach a specific setting in the bios during overclocking that it cant handle, when i boot up, it tries to boot up for 5 seconds then turns itself off, then turns itself on again to default Bios Settings. :confused:

But what's stomping me is that when that happens when i 1st turn on my pc in the morning, all the values are left unchanged. Hope you guys get what i mean.

Im thinking of the PSU, but my mobo, proc, VC & PSU are all 1 month old & they are working perfectly eversince. My PSU is a Coolermaster Extreme Power 650w SLi-Ready & i know it can handle my specs efficiently. :cool:

Any hints or advise on this gurus out there? Every advise will be greatly appreciated. :respect:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a faulty PSU to me. It could also be the motherboard. I don't think there is a way to find out other than replacing one or the other.

amocrass2 says thanks.
  3. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine does this everytime I've changed some hardware.

Don't know if it's something to worry about. If your mobo and OS support it, you could just let it sleep/suspend if it's that annoying.

amocrass2 says thanks.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Blood Iron boots in this same exact manner...It may be something new with mobo BIOS'....freaked me out a bit the first time I booted.....my heart fell a bit...then it booted!

amocrass2 says thanks.
  5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried using totally stock settings / choosing "Use last known good configuration"?

amocrass2 says thanks.
  6. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, and Oh, this started happening after i updated my Bios.

@erocker
    if it's the psu or mobo, it wouldn't be able to handle Cysis in all high settings & COD4 for 5 straight hours, im really doubting, but i appreciate the input.

@Dr Spankenstein
    but i havne't changed nay hardware since last month...hmmm

@sneekypeet
    Really, did you encounter any issues after you experienced this? I already torture tested my PC that it can handle after i discovered it but nothing seems to fail.

Im beginning to think this might be normal, but still it doesn't look like it is.

7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    all boards that are p35 or newer does this.. its common. Its a thing that makes sure everything runs after it has been turned off or unplugged for a long period of time. ITs nothing to be worried about untill it does a loop.. just goes over and over ... does it at windows and so forth. Its a common thing. Just worry if it does it more then once...

amocrass2 says thanks.
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My mobo boots this way everytime the power button is pushed. Has since day one....Coldstorm may be right with the P35 bit, not to sure, but it has worked 100% from day 1 with booting and restarting!

amocrass2 says thanks.
  9. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Pinchy
    Do you mean setting the Bios to Fail-Safe or Optimal Settings? Well, before I updated my Bios, I set all BIOS to default Fail-Safe settings, after i rebooted twice, the issue was not happening, only afterwards & i don't know what i did after that other than set my previous stable Overclock settings.

The Bios update suppose to enhance overclocking capabilities of the mobo. That's what it says in the site about it.

10. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Cold Storm

If it's normal witha P35, Im not sure if it is on the X38 chipset coz I have an X38 chipset. But since sneekypeet here also experiences this one fromday 1, im beginning to think really that this is normal on the new Bios, hmmmm...

11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    yeah with the two I've had it did that... but i've also heard it to be a safty thing on the new boards after the p35s... but i could be wrong.. since i don't have a Xxx anything..

amocrass2 says thanks.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I had a gigabyte motherboard that would do the same thing. My friend has a Gigabyte p965 board and it does it too. Come to think of it he replaced the PSU and it still did it. Must be the motherboard, or a bios setting.

13. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, i'll try to observe this since this issue just started 3days ago, if it does cause any issues, i'll get back to this post to bring it up again.

Any other inputs or users experiencing this will still be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, guys!

14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Amocrass, How often do you have to reset your cmos?

15. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont' need to reset my CMOS, my mobo actually does not prevent my system to not boot, when it thinks that the CPU, RAM or system can't accept the overclocked settings, it just turns itself off on the 1st boot then turns itself on again with the default BIOS settings applied. It's like it automatically reseting the CMOS by itself and that's one of the cool things I like with this mobo.

16. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Well to me it sounded like your CMOS battery was going bad but you haven't noticed any loss of settings have you?

17. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    It might be the newer BIOS version (a setting or something) because my board always does it, but only when I OC (for safety).

What i meant above was a setting in BIOS that says "Load fail safe controls" or whatever, but if you didnt do anything after the update, I don't think thats the problem :p.

18. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No settings loss in the bios JR, that's what really amuses me.

19. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Pinchy
    yeah your right, i didn't changed the default settings yet after the bios update. Coz i was thinking, if it's the new bios that caused it, it should've started acting that way from Day 1 the new bios was installed.

Isn't it because of the overclock done w/ the new bios? The new bios, according to Gigabyte, should enhance the overclocking capabilities & experience. :-(

20. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    My cheapo Assrock 775i65G motherboard does that too. The first time I turned it on, it restarted like 4 times in quick seccession giving me a black screen, then booted up after 10 seconds of fear thinking that I had a faulty motherboard. Whenever I restart it, it restarts like 3 times. It boots up fine after it's little spasm, so I guess it's no big deal.

21. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    That is totally weird. All I can say if its stable and are still able to overclock without loss of settings then the saying "If it ain't broke ..." applies.

amocrass2 says thanks.
  22. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    lower your settings untill you find it. this is not "normal" but it can be ignored if you wanted to since the board resets itself.

more than likely its the ram volts need to be a tiny bit lower, its startup instability causing it to reset and restart

while it may be stable running at those settings startup is a little different needs from the system so different settings may be needed for stable startup.

amocrass2 says thanks.
  23. amocrass2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @keakar
    nice input there!
    i'd like to add that i just set the Voltage assignment in the bios to the CPU & RAM to AUTO since the board has that feature to automatically adjust optimally the voltages of components when overclocked. Coz I'm not really into voltage adjusting, i tried once to increase it up to the smallest step a bit just once when i tried to reach the 3.9GHz mark on both the CPU & RAM at a time, but the mobo just didn't accepted the increase & it set itself back to default. It's like the mobo saying, "no can do that buddy"! hehehe!

So I just left the voltage adjustment to the mobo or bios since it thinks it's smarter than me! lolz!