1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC wont turn on what am i missing?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xmountainxlionx, May 12, 2008.

1. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    ok a guy brought a pc in and said it wouldnt come on. I checked it, sure enough you press the button and NOTHING happens. I replaced the PSU thats good. I checked the button just to be sure also thats good. It still wouldnt come on with the good PSU. The light is on on the MOBo though. so im like wtf, what am i missing could it be the cpu? or the mobo or both. onboard graphics. 256mb ram, p4. 350 watt psu. one hdd and a dialup modem

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Could be your power switch. Try using something metal to jump the power on pins on the motherboard.

3. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    nah i checked that on another machine. i know that works

4. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Try different ram modules if you've got them sitting around or an external video card.

Also, could be a burnt out motherboard. I had that happen to me once a long time ago (one of my first computers, I was tightening down a pci card with a screwdriver while the computer was on. Dropped the screwdriver. Same thing. lights came on, but nothing powered up).

5. will

will

Thanks Received:
    hmm wierd, if it was a faulty part (cpu, gfx, ram) it would turn on and fans would spin, it just wouldnt show anything... maybe its a problem with the power switch connection with the mobo? or some other weird related fault with the mobo...

6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps clear cmos, and jump the power switch with a flat head screw driver.

7. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you hear the hdd spin up?

8. rampage

Thanks Received:
    like the others have said,clear the cmos, if that dosnt work it coould eb any number of things, mobo/ ram/ cpu/ gfx

9. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The motherboard seems as though it is not recieving a signal, check all wires from the start button for continuity and also check that sufficient contacts are made at the connectors.

10. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    With Dells or Emachines I have noticed, when the motherboards go bad its like nothing responds (No Fans, HD spin up..nothing). If its a Emachine, Gateway, HP, or Compaq GET RID of the BESTTEC!!! It seems when those PSU's go out they always take the motherboard with them.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be like me and my newb move...I was setting up my new rig and I plugged the HD audio cable into the motherboard and it wouldn't start...forgot this old mobo has AC97...:p plugged that in and it worked

12. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    i think lightning has fried the motherboard. what im wondering is can it fry the mobo with frying the psu?