1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI-E speeds on G43-G45 chipsets.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ShogoXT, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    They're 16x full speed if you don't have more than one video card enabled. The board is meant to handle one card at 16x (in either slot) or two cards at 8x. That's pretty normal for midrange crossfire boards. With current video cards, 8x/8x is preferable over 16x/4x. At least in my opinion.

A second 4870/50 would be heavily bottlenecked by the 4x slot and you wouldn't see the same scaling as with 8x/8x, I think.

That gigabyte board is something to stay away from unless you use a 2600xt and NEVER plan to upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both of them? I tried to email Giga-byte about that and they only gave me 4x as the answer. I thought same as you at first, but now im not sure.

4. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    That gigabyte is a single slot (pcie) board. Did you mix it up with another or is the only VGA slot at 4x? That'd be pretty upsetting.

5. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at the specs page. Im a bit confused here. Il link you my question to them in a moment.

6. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Question:

This question is actually about the capability of the motherboard itself. I havent actually bought it yet. I know sometimes the specs are not the same as whats shown on Asus. It showed me for instance the Intel P35 chipset is incapable of 2 electrical 16x speed PCI-E slots (instead its double 8x). My question is, is there a similar limitation on the G43 and G45 chipsets. Also the same question with the G35,G33, and G31. I noticed you had your motherboards advertised at 4x PCI-E for the graphics slot. WILL IT STILL BE THAT WAY IF I DISABLE THE INTEGRATED VIDEO???

Thanks for your time.

Their answer:
    G series chipset are limited for this particular model PCIE slot is x4

zilla says thanks.
  7. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    WOW. I've never seen a modern (if you can call it that) board with such a limitation. o.o Think of the strongest AGP card ever made. The 3850. That's about the best card you can get and not bottleneck unless there's something I'm not understanding.

Their grammar sucks about as much as the board does. The price is horrendous for what you get.

8. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know though Giga-byte wouldnt purposely put that limitation on there if they didnt have to. So im back to thinking since they were correct before, could it be a chipset limitation and Asus is posting wrong specs like they did for the P35 boards?

9. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I was about to buy a $50 dollar board yesterday and it had more/better features all around. It was a gigabyte. Full 16x PCIe and 45nm support up to 1600mhz FSB. I went with a foxconn instead as usual.

I'm sure they did that on purpose. Hide this massive thing on the one page that a noobie wouldn't understand and charge them a load for it. Were you going to buy one of those?