1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI Expansion slot- what are my options?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Anath, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I recently bought a asrock x79 extreme 6/gb board. The board comes with it's own audio card that runs x-fi technology. It is a PCI-e 1x board. I currently run 3 gtx 680s in sli. One of the gtx 680s covers the 1x slot. Is there anything available that would still allow me to use my sound card that came with the board? For example is there any external pci-e to usb adapters or a pci expansion slot where I could move that card to another section of my case? Thanks in advance.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Frick says thanks.
  3. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I had also seen those. The only thing that is preventing me from purchasing is due to asthetics. Those things are so freaking ugly lol.

Yea I am currently using the onboard and it is pretty good but I am sure the x-fi card would be a lot better.
  4. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Well.....

With function comes form I guess. Sorry I am all out of other ideas.
  5. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help though. I have spent hours searching for a solution and have come up with only the one you suggested. Do you think they make sleeves for that kind of cable?
  6. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    From what I can see maybe the same size on 24pin main atx would work. Anytime!!! :toast:
    Anath says thanks.
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Having had a good look at most of the X79 boards from most of the manufactures it seems NONE of them have a PCI-E x1 slot ABOVE the first PCI-E slot like almost EVERY 1155 board has(which is the convenient place to put a soundcard in these cases) I wonder why they made such an "inconvenient" change in the layout between sockets?

But yeah Jr's solution really looks like the only one. Sleeving it looks like a PITA you would have some serious soldering to do. If was at least longer you could do the old trick I used to do with IDE cables and "curl" it.
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    watercool the cards problem solved.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Expensive, but it IS a solution...I certainly wouldn't for a Recon/Core 3D...
  10. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    a bit of an exotic solution would be to get a pciex1 riser card... basically it "relocates" the pcie via a cable or right angled pcb/cable... in m-itx cases that don't have enough room... check out "mini-box.com"(for example) OR search google for picopsu for the site that i saw the example of.. and the intel m-itx MB's under accessories for an example...
  11. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    As you can see from my setup I am a little taxed out right now lol :p Maybe in a few months since I have never done a water cooling setup.

That's what jr said earlier in the post. I would be interested in doing this, however, all of the pci-e rising cards that exist are super ugly. I, like many enthusiasts, am kind of picky about asthetics of my build. I wish they made all black riser cards because i would snatch one up in a heartbeat.
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope, Dual-stack DVI on GTX680 kills that one.