1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI Express 3.0 by 2010, Supports Heavier, Gluttonous Cards

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 19, 2008.

1. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tom's Hardware already tested it. This is how PCIe bandwidth scales the performance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2-0,1915-12.html

I wouldn't say we can talk about bottlenecking, even 4x (8x on PCIe 1.1) offers very good results overall. Meaning that you probably won't NEED PCIe 3.0, just as you don't need PCIe 2.0 right know. That doesn't mean is not necesary, because it does help a bit, the more the better, and as long as it is totally backwards compatible, and seems it will be, what's the problem?

On another note, this interface's 300w are probably for Intel Larrabee, so that POS can run on a computer without requiring a nuclear plant by the side of your PC. :D

mlee49 and Shurakai say thanks.
  2. pentastar111

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for the bandwidth...It's the 3 LBS cards that bother me a little...I not a fan of small form factor, but a 3 pound card seems rather ridiculously large.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  3. Apocolypse007

Apocolypse007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the only addition needed was the 300W support (to negate the need for power plug on a lot of cards). The extra strength for heavier cards is nice, but with rising copper prices i think heavy heatsinks will be replaced with vapor chambers and watercooling.

4. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did anybody bother to weigh the 3870x2. Its 0.6 kg or 1.32 lb, heavy as hell for a card.
    That must be one beefy slot to be able to hold a 3 lb card...something that's twice as heavy as the 3870x2. MONSTER :eek:

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    not with the energy crisis the world has.

6. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bet if weight of a 3.0 graphics card was judged by length, the hardware girls at the booths would be jealous since they wish they had that card, for a reason LOL :laugh:

7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...I agree with earlier statements that MFG's should be going smaller as they go faster...but I guess if they can slack in the smaller and lighter, they can still go faster! lol!

At 3 pounts there'll have to be either extra layers on an MB PCB, extra re-inforcements of not only the slot but integrated in the board, and maybe some sort of adjustable stabalizer bar that attatches to the card and either goes to the bottom of the case (allowing that there is clearance and no objects in the way) or towards the top or front...I just don't see 3lb vid cards practical or good on anything in the long run...that will have to lead to some serious distortion, possibly some serious damage/shorting too? Hopefully we don't have to fear something heavier than the X2's out there!

:toast:

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I heard this about a year ago just was not a fixed date. Bound to happen sooner or later and with how things are going sooner is how it ends up being.

So those who hope for a system taking less power well looks like thats gone out the window lol.

9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    awesome, triple slot coolers becoming standard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol imagine quadfire/tri sli triple slot gpu's lol