1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI lan question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krazy Owl, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi.

I know that a Lan card by definition can send informations and receive it.
    But can it be used to send only to a router?

Intel motherboard G33 chipset / Gig lan

I would like to make a computer/wireless lan cube.

Simple design. I put my normal computer setup into my cube case equipped with an handle to bring everywhere. Add a PCI lan card to it. Take a wireless router that work on 12 volts and remove the circuit and antenna from it's case to bolt it inside the cube powered by the psu itself. Run a small RJ45 lan wire from PCI lan card running through a pci slot on case to plug it into the lan port on the now internal router.

The idea about this setup is to give wireless access when going to a friend home without having to bring also an external router and setup everything. So I would like to plug my cube computer into the ISP modem and people with laptop and cell phone could connect to internet.

Question:

1- Will the PCI lan card work at same time the onboard giga?

2- If yes will the PCI act as an output only to provide the internal wireless router I added?
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1) Yes.

2) No, and what good would it be to do that. If you want to give wireless access to people they are going to have to both send and receive information. For instance, how could they select where they want to go on the internet if they could only receive information? There would be no connection established to the site.

Maybe I am not clear on what you are trying to accomplish.
    Krazy Owl says thanks.
  3. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Install a wireless router right into my computer.

Step 1-Take a wireless router
    2- Remove the circuitry form the shell
    3-put circuitry inside my own computer
    4-Give internet access to this router.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    LOL I am so sorry for laughing but this is not really a good mod. Download IPfire and use virtualbox and create a DHCP server OR just use one nic and a wireless card or USB wireless and share the RJ45 to the wireless device and BAM you can create a ADhoc.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then laugh it does not answer exactly my questions but no thx I have this specific questions because of specific projects.
  6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    You can install the wireless router into the box, but it is still going to have to communicate in both directions for it to be of any use.

So ...

ISP <-> Gigabit LAN <-> PCI Lan <-> router <-> wireless devices.
    Krazy Owl says thanks.
  7. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Win7 pro 64bits will the communication will be seted automatically between the pci lan and integrated gigalan ?
  8. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    No, they will have to be different subnets.
    There may be some kind of auto-bridging that it could do, but I've never done that.
    Krazy Owl says thanks.
  9. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thank you for the answer ill work on it :)
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just buy a compact, mini router thats USB powered and power it from one of the internal USB headers.

what you're trying to do is really complicated, and unless you explain why, no ones going to be able to give you the specific advice you need.
  11. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use what i have at home without buying. No need of expense when the stuff you have do the job :)
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So what you really want is the NIC's to act as bridges to the router? If you have some soldering skills, take a Cat cable and solder the leads to the pins on the LAN port of the PCI NIC. Then you can just cut off the rest of the card, and connect that to modem/whathaveyou. Or you have a cat-extender cable that hangs outside the case for the router and run a cable from the onboard NIC to the router and skip the PCI NIC entirely.

Unless I have completely misunderstood what you want.
  13. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    You misunderstood but nevermind :) Thank you anyway i got my answer somewhere else :)
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Your posts have been very confusing, it's important to re-read everything that you're going to post, because I know there are times where I won't explain what I'm trying to get at very easily.

I think I get what you're trying to do. As far as I understand it, you want your network setup like this:

Code:
    Internet (from Modem) ->This PC -> Wireless router -> Wireless devices
    Where the computer manages the internet connection but the router still handles wi-fi and DHCP while using the internal +12v rail to power the router internally.

Not to say that this is a bad setup (I'm considering building a gateway that will work this way, I have a motherboard handy with dual gigabit LAN) but what are you trying to accomplish by doing this? It might enable us to give a recommendation on what would be good to do. In my case, I want to do it just to do it. I plan on morphing one of my rigs into a multi-purpose server that will handle all of my network resources (iptables, dns/bind, dhcp, file sharing, etc.) but I'm keeping the wireless router external to the chassis. Keep in mind that if you have a metal case, it will degrade the wireless performance because you'll be putting your antennas inside of a metal cage, essentially. I would keep it outside or run some coax cable to build an antenna on the outside of the case.
  15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the only purpose is can see to this, is either network restrictions (which doesnt make sense, since you say you're taking it to other places) or attempting some kind of snooping on the wireless/network traffic, since its all routed through your PC.

glad to see your got your answers elsewhere, because from here your questions are still quite vague.