1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCIExpress BUS Speed / SATA Controller?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Sasqui, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I'm wrestling getting my CPU over 247 FSB and I think I finally found the problem, but can't find a way around it. It has something to do with the SATA controller (I think), possibly along with the PCIex BUS speed.

Last night, my machine happily booted and went through a full memory check at 277 FSB (4+ GHZ), but I could only do this by forcing the PCIEx bus speed to a specific value. The problem is that when I do this, the SATA controller fails to recognize my drives. If I set the PCIEx bus to "Auto", it won't post! I tried all sorts of other PCIEx bus speeds (up to 120) and still same result, it'll post fine, but no SATA Drives recognized. Ironically, both drives on the single Legacy IDE channel work fine (PCI is locked at 33.3).

The BIOS has an option to run the PCIEx bus from a range of 99 all the way to 250!

Question is this: What is the "Normal" bus speed for the PCIExpress bus (I always assumed it was 100 MHz), and is a SATA controller normally tied to the same bus as the PCIEx? From the behavior I'm seeing, it certainly seems so. This is an 915P / ICH6-R board.

Look at my system specs for system details. Thanks in advance for any information.
    ~Sasqui

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  2. Anarion New Member

Thanks Received:
    in short disable 1.sata spectrum , 2.maybe ur bios set at syn mode! ,3.if u have pci locked then ur sata can be locked just find out, what don't let it .

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't find Sata spectrum. What is syn mode? There's no options for separately controlling the SATA speed. The side effects of the PCIEx changes seem to suggest SATA is somehow linked to the PCIEx speed...

4. Anarion New Member

Thanks Received:
    SYNC & ASYNC (syncheronous & Asyncheronous) . btw i never saw before a sata speed ctrl though . also i don't know scheme of 915 but it's possible (for 1x & 2x ) .

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Thanks... I think it's all Asynchronous - there's a fixed option (99-250) and then "Auto", which I assume has ratio ranges mapped to ranges of the FSB. And of course now I have to ask what you mean by 1x and 2x :eek: ?

Intel shows the SATA and PCIEx spawning separately off the Southbridge for the 915, but the speed mystery lies int he southbridge itself :)

[​IMG]