1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pentium 4 (Yes Pentium 4) can't hit stock speed

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by loloTHUNDAH, Aug 19, 2012.

1. loloTHUNDAH New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys!

I got an old rig here, and funny thing is that my P4 (socket 478) can't hit 2.8 GHz (the stock speed. It won't boot or anything unless I put the frequency multiplier to 125 (which 130 is default) and Voltage to 1.450 (Which 1.5 is default)

Here are some of the other specs:

1gb DDR ram
    FX 5500
    80gb hard Drive
    Asus P4 XTE motherboard.

It was like this even before I removed the stock cooler. I saw that the thermal paste has run dry and I thought that it won't do anything bad. The fan also makes load Whirrrrr noises and it's normal temps are around 46-53 Degree Celsius. I was thinking of buying new thermal paste and re-apply it on the cooler, but since I'm getting a new rig I left that Idea out.

Anyone knows why It can't hit the 2.8 mark?

Thanks!
  2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    It's old, thermal paste is dry and fan is malfunctioning?

Try upping the voltage a little but replace the thermal paste. btw you are supposed to apply the thermal paste on the CPU except on certain circumstances. Usually, if you unmount the cooler, you should always replace the thermal paste
    loloTHUNDAH says thanks.
  3. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Reapply thermal paste, clean out and lube up your fans, vacuum out all the heatsinks, make sure everything is connected, and post back in the morning.
    itsakjt and loloTHUNDAH say thanks.
  4. loloTHUNDAH New Member

Thanks Received:
    What you do mean be lubing your fans? I cleaned all the fans already, but not lubing them. How do you vacuum the heatsinks?
  5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Vacuum meaning clean the heatsinks with compressed air or vacuum cleaner. Though your system should have been stable at those temps, I think your RAM is dying not functioning properly. As you reduce the base clock, RAM is also underclocked.
    A rare chance may be the motherboard dying because of ageing chipset and VRM.
  6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Try like here

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  7. loloTHUNDAH New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I also do this to the CPU cooler? I only have one fan in the case, and it's the CPU cooler that's making all the noises.

How can I check if my RAM is dying? I haven't had any BSOD's and the likes because of RAM, But sometimes I get random shutdowns and abrupt restarts :\
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    wrong cpu cooler, cpu and motherboard fsb mismatch, mobo (Caps/resistors/chokes/VRMs/coils) or cpu failing, incorrect bios settings failing powersupply or ram, heck even case power switches being faulty, even shorting of board on case, or dust collection.

Honestly Id bench run the machine out of the chassis on a non conductive surface.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012