• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Petition for AGP 4770

Would you, or a friend, buy a AGP 4770?

• I would definitely consider buying one or more AGP HD4770's

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • I would consider it, but no guarantees I'd buy one

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
K

kyle2020

If you have a perfectly good CPU, plenty of RAM, HDD full of applications and data already installed, an OEM copy of Windows, a PCI soundcard, then WHY OH WHY would you want to upgrade that just for a new GPU?

To upgrade my system, this is what it would cost:

New CPU significantly better than my Q6600: $250+
New RAM: $100
New Windows: $150
New (pro quality) soundcard: $100+

Total = $600++

Now add in all the time to reinstall the whole PC incl. organise and backup old data, build new machine, install OS, OS updates, install applications = EASILY 6 hours. At say $50 per hr, call that $300 of time or opportunity cost.

Total incl. backup and new install = $900++ , and that assumes recycling the old HDDs, which, as you know, is not the cleverest solution. So add another $100 for a new drive, and you are talking $1000.

ALTERNATIVE

Just buy an "AGP" version of the GPU.

:slap:

Lets not over exaggerate :laugh:

For a start, you wouldnt swap out your Q6600. The only thing that could best a Q6600 at the minute would be a Xeon or i7. Neither would you swap out your ram unless it was a set of old sticks. On the windows part - You ring them up, on a toll free number and ask them to reset your product key - thats what, 10 minutes work? And its free? :laugh:

A PCI Soundcard. Necessary? Not really. But, if you insist.

So lets add that all up - a new motherboard? $115. RAM? $50. Soundcard, if you must - $100.

So so far we have been set back $265. Add a decent mid level graphics card to that? $100 for a 4850. So $365.

To back up all old data, build and have a computer fully running takes me roughly 5 hours. If im "recommending to a friend" or building for a friend, Id honestly charge them, lets say, £50, so $80 from start to finish. Mates rates lets say.

So so far this person, lets call him jimmy, has spent $445 and can now play 90% of todays games, and has a future proof system, isnt crippled by limited selection on upgrading (Come on, your making a petition to get another AGP card released for christs sakes!) and doesnt have to worry about any more upgrades until, lets say, i5 hits the etailers.

Oh, and this about the harddrives being recycled? Add a 500GB seagate barracuda to that then, bump the overall build cost to $505. Hardly the $1000 you seem to have plucked from the sky, and that gets you a system thats up to date.

Oh, and just to enforce all of this - you can get a 4850 for $99, however an AGP 3850 costs $145. Thats THE best AGP card you can buy, and its outperformed by a cheaper, more power efficient and cooler 4850, and the 4850 is classed as a mid / low mainstream card :laugh:

You can keep you AGP system in the end, but honestly, Id rather bite the bullet and spend $500 (NOT $1000 :laugh:) on upgrading in every sense. Better choice when upgrading, better chipset variations on the motherboards, cheaper, etc etc.

Oh, just for the record:

":slap:"

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Lets not over exaggerate :laugh:

For a start, you wouldnt swap out your Q6600. The only thing that could best a Q6600 at the minute would be a Xeon or i7. Neither would you swap out your ram unless it was a set of old sticks. On the windows part - You ring them up, on a toll free number and ask them to reset your product key - thats what, 10 minutes work? And its free? :laugh:

A PCI Soundcard. Necessary? Not really. But, if you insist.

So lets add that all up - a new motherboard? $115. RAM? $50. Soundcard, if you must - $100.

So so far we have been set back $265. Add a decent mid level graphics card to that? $100 for a 4850. So $365.

To back up all old data, build and have a computer fully running takes me roughly 5 hours. If im "recommending to a friend" or building for a friend, Id honestly charge them, lets say, £50, so $80 from start to finish. Mates rates lets say.

So so far this person, lets call him jimmy, has spent $445 and can now play 90% of todays games, and has a future proof system, isnt crippled by limited selection on upgrading (Come on, your making a petition to get another AGP card released for christs sakes!) and doesnt have to worry about any more upgrades until, lets say, i5 hits the etailers.

Oh, and this about the harddrives being recycled? Add a 500GB seagate barracuda to that then, bump the overall build cost to $505. Hardly the $1000 you seem to have plucked from the sky, and that gets you a system thats up to date.

Oh, and just to enforce all of this - you can get a 4850 for $99, however an AGP 3850 costs $145. Thats THE best AGP card you can buy, and its outperformed by a cheaper, more power efficient and cooler 4850, and the 4850 is classed as a mid / low mainstream card :laugh:

You can keep you AGP system in the end, but honestly, Id rather bite the bullet and spend $500 (NOT $1000 :laugh:) on upgrading in every sense. Better choice when upgrading, better chipset variations on the motherboards, cheaper, etc etc.

Oh, just for the record:

":slap:"

the only reason to upgrade a q6600 is to go i7, it would be absolutely retarded to pay an extra 265$ as a base on top of your gpu purchase to have the same cpu performance.

cheapest i7 mobo is 180$
cheapest i7 cpu is 240$
mem can be as cheap as 50$
so now were talking 470$ base to increase cpu performance and then pay extra for the gpu.

so we're talking 600-1000$ depending on additiona periferals and the cpu.

not so justifiable in a tough economy when your current rig is perfectly fine.

and really you'd pay 500$ to upgrade from a 3850 to a 4850?:wtf: teh yogurt has some parts to sell you, real cheap, just 200$ for a 512mb stick of dd2. so a real cheap upgrade to 2gb for only 800$:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

K

kyle2020

Your not just upgrading to a 4850, your opening up the possibility to uograde even further, rather than having to make a daft petition to get a new graphics card thats underpowered as it is :laugh:

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Your not just upgrading to a 4850, your opening up the possibility to uograde even further, rather than having to make a daft petition to get a new graphics card thats underpowered as it is :laugh:

as said above pointless unless you're actually upgrading the cpu as well.

there is no point in him changing from agp to pcix until he is ready to change platforms. I mean you're telling him to spend 500$ to go from one outdated system to another.

775 is on it's way out. you're throwing money in a hole to upgrade to it at this point.

when he has a spare 1000$ or when i5 is released and he has a spare 500$ he can change platforms. for now a smaller upgrade would make more sense.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Which highly informed person told me I don't need to upgrade the RAM? So you want me to put DDR into DDR2 slots? :laugh: :slap:

I do accept I made a mistake with the soundcard... there are plenty of i7 mainboards still with a PCI slot to take my existing card. (I have just seen to many of those pro/workstation boards with no PCI but 6x PCIe x16 slots).

I'm not so sure about legally recycling OEM Windows. But if you can, then great. Thanks for the tip.

But I'm not going to spend $500+ to upgrade just a video card, it is just plain silly. All I want a $80-$150 GPU solution, and that's it. If I'm going to spend over $500, then it is a new platform, and a bigger investment to do something significant and interesting, like Nehalem-EP.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
At the end of the day as long is there is a market for AGP there are going to be new AGP cards released.
The only reason these manufacturers release a higher end AGP card each time is due to advancement in technology and not relating to the specs of typical AGP system.

The everyday consumer does not know or care about CPU bottlenecking, wouldn't have the slightest idea what benchmarks are and why we get all excited over them.
The everyday consumer decides to buy a new release game for thier PC and try to run it off onboard graphics finding out they cannot play it because they did not read the tiny writing about the system requirements.
So they take thier thier old entry level Compaq, Acer, Dell or what not into the local PC store and say, I want to play games on my PC.
The store owner goes $$$!!
This consumer is what these cards are generally aimed at.

I'm not convinced there's a CPU available for an AGP board that could feed a 4770 well. Hell, even a 3850 is more than enough IMO.

AGP people are better off getting a modern budget rig than buying an overpriced, buggy AGP variant of a PCIe card. It's pretty easy to build a new machine that will obliterate any AGP system out there and still be cheap. Pay for most of it with the money saved from not buying the rip-off AGP version.

Last edited:
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
I'm not convinced there's a CPU available for an AGP board that could feed a 4770 well. Hell, even a 3850 is more than enough IMO.

AGP people are better off getting a modern budget rig than buying an overpriced, buggy AGP variant of a PCIe card. It's pretty easy to build a new machine that will obliterate any AGP system out there and still be cheap. Pay for most of it with the money saved from not buying the rip-off AGP version.

ummmmmm dude 2 posts up systems specs. seriously

an oced q6600 is plenty for a 4870x2 even. much less a 4770. lol some people really need to read up b4 commenting.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.

AGP people are better off getting a modern budget rig than buying an overpriced, buggy AGP variant of a PCIe card.

Oh dear, another self-proclaimed expert that doesnt realise that once you have a basic Core 2 even at stock, the bottleneck IS NOT THE CPU, but is the GPU.

Try reading up on CPU scaling:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=672&p=11
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=10
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/cpu_bottlenecks/
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2007/08/30/bioshock_gameplay_graphics_and_performance/10

Even a Celeron 440 isnt a bottleneck on a Geforce 8800 GTX!!!