1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Petition to Ubisoft to release a DRM-free SKU of Beyond Good & Evil 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by FordGT90Concept, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to sign it just because it's DRM. :)

P.S. Very glad rockstar social club was taken away :mad:

That's the kind of attitude that won World War 2.

What do you do if you fail your driving test? You try again and put more effort in.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Signed

3. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Signed. This DRM crap is getting out of hand. :shadedshu

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you donate it to a real cause like STMMWNHD (Stop TheMailMans Wife from Nagging Him to Death Fund)?

5. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    That's right, it's only for consoles. :laugh:

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Because the original was available on PC. They are likely to get it on every platform they can because they are attempting to jump start a series that had very bad timing last time around.

Remember, it is cheaper for them to not use any DRM at all.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Me, I can't wait for it to come out. It was on PC and I loved it. Played both version. After what has gone with Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed 2... They really need to get their act together if they want me to spend more money on them.. I loved Beyond Good & Evil.. But, this DRM stuff is getting out of hand..

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    the 2 cents per signature of paypal is actually if YOU sign a petiton, you get cash... so basically, whomever signed this petition had the potential to get 2 cents out of it too!

9. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    While I agree that Ubisoft is going all nuts with their new DRM crap and while I also support your motive and lastly while I enjoyed Beyond good & evil 1, I am not going to sign some online petition. It stands no ground.

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel that you have the right idea, Ford, but the scope is too narrow.
    It should have been an over-reaching petition to all publishers for any game that uses oppresive, draconian DRM.

Make one like that, I'll sign it.

n-ster says thanks.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    100% agreed... actually, 1st thing that came into my mind when seeing the title, just didn't mention it lol

12. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I hope you realize the foolishness of what you just said :)

"Oh no! There are Adds on the front page of TPU! I'm not going to use it. Oh no Gmail adds an add at the top of my inbox- not using it! Oh no people win money because I'm using my eyes - I have to pluck em out!"

oh and signed :)

13. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Signed, I dont care if they dont do s***, i dont and will never like DRM, and if i ever see the guy/s who thought this was a good idea i would kick him/them in his/their b****:nutkick:, and i am serious

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    good point lol

15. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    I still don't get why people dislike DRM so much

16. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    DRM is fine as long as it is transparent. But when it annoys players and even forbid them from playing, then it's a problem.

Ubisoft's DRM is pretty bad. I bought Settlers 7 on Steam. Oh, boy, the game froze just because Windows was downloading updates. Apparently, it disturbed my internet connection.

EA's Spore's DRM was pretty bad also.

17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, EA's DRM and Ubisoft's DRM is god offal.. I mean, you got ubisoft in which makes people not able to play their games because the "server" are down due "vacation" sorts... Yeah, we need that stuff to be taken out..

18. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    don't know about you guys but I still have trouble getting made at developers for trying to protect their money

19. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    What? :wtf: World war two was won by the outcome of a series of cascading tactical errors by both the german's and the Japaneses but im not even going to go there in this thread.

Im simply trying to say that out of all the petitions floating around on the Internet that have to do with games, last time i checked not a single one has ever had a positive outcome. Im not saying the cause is not justified, Im saying the only party thats gonna win in this case is the people who own the website raking in add revenue :(

I think a better analogy for this situation would be trying to break through a cement wall with a rubber mallet, sure maybe if you keep smashing the same spot over and over again maybe some time 50 years from now you might be able to get through but beyond that your just going to look like a fool as you keep toiling away at it.

20. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    That petition comes after this one.

This is a "challenge" to Ubisoft to prove to them that they can make money on DRM-free releases of games. If they go forward with this and the sales confirm it, the money alone should cause them to unilaterally drop DRM for all future titles. If Ubisoft does it, other publishers are likely to take note in order to keep their competitive edge. The reason why I targeted Ubisoft is because they are the ones to push draconian DRMs the most (Star-Force 3 on Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Tages on Beyond Good & Evil, etc.).

By making it for a specific game, the request, in their eyes, is not unreasonable and also places a deadline on when the petition must be completed.

Anyone (including you, and I'll readily sign it) could create another petition to make that request but unfortunately I don't think it would have enough leverage to cause the cascade of change a specific petition like this could.

The other problem with this is how do you define "draconian?" We can only describe the "dracononian" measures used today and yesterday, not tomorrow. The most effective way to make them change their ways is to prove to them that they are losing money (all businesses care about) because of DRM.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    We're mad because they aren't protecting their money. The pirates still get the damn games.

We're mad because the only people effected by the DRM are those that actually paid for the damn game. The legitimate owners are the ones that suffer, not the pirates.

With Ubi's new drm, if my internet goes down for whatever reason, and I decide I want to play some Assassin's Creed 2 to pass the time, guess what? I can't. Have to have a constant internet connection to play. Therefore, me, the legit customer, is the only one getting screwed.

22. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but why get mad at the publishers when the pirates are the ones stealing and pressuring the publishers to use DRM

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  23. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Ignorance is bliss eh suga?

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Developers aren't the ones adding DRM, it is the publishers. They're like the bankers of the gaming world deciding what developers get money and how thick they need to build their vault doors (DRM). There aren't very many developers any more that aren't at least partially owned by a publisher.

ChewyBrownSuga says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well, like ford said, it the publishers. But anyway, even they aren't pressured to use DRM. DRM is a complete waste of money and completely inneffective. The pirates will still get the games. It only hurts the real consumers.

I don't mind simple key and disc checks to thwart the casual person that might try to copy their new game for their buddy. That's perfectly fair, but the new DRM is out of hand, and bites the hand that feeds.